ANOTHER Oily mess...
ver the last seven years or so I have done a fair few 200Tdi (and more recently 300Tdi) swaps on older Ninetys and One Tens.
Take the still-beating heart of a terminally-rotten Discovery, clean off 20 years’ worth of grime and grot, make a few minor modifications and you have, the best all-round engine conversion you could wish for. Instant cold starting, bags of low-end torque and 30-35 mpg.
Admittedly Tdis are noisy, not especially refined (like most big four-cylinder engines) and in standard form will only raise your Land Rover’s performance from ‘pitifully slow’ to ‘just about keeps up with the traffic’.
But these conversions are astonishingly robust, very hard to kill, suffer from few significant design weaknesses, and are good for 250k or more between rebuilds given the occasional oil change.
In the early days, every Tdi conversion I did was slightly different to the one before, as I tried out different installation techniques. I am still playing around with exhaust mountings even now.
But, by and large, I now have my own fixed way of doing things, and all the conversions I carry out follow the same procedure and pattern. The main issues are mating the Discovery flywheel housing to the LT77 gearbox, fitting the air cleaner so that it is accessible for maintenance and doesn’t get in the way of the intercooler pipes, and arranging the latter so that they clear all the other
0mechanical bits. With intercooler, top radiator hose, air cleaner and power steering pipework to worry about, the manifold side of a 200Tdi conversion can get a bit crowded, while a 300Tdi (with that high-mounted water pump) is even worse.
I’m not by any means the first and only person dropping old Tdi lumps into even older Land Rovers. As I have said before, I look after an early Ninety that was converted to Tdi power almost 15 years before I did my first one. So the