When the Long Groyne was built, it solved Hengistbury Head’s erosion problems, but had an adverse effect on the spit, preventing longshore drift. Extensive work was needed to stabilise the situation, with small sea walls built in the 1960s and rubble groynes added in the 1980s. Today, no cars are allowed, and people are required to take a ‘land train’ that runs regularly from the car park at the foot of the Head, a vintage ferry across Christchurch Harbour from Tuckton or a ferry across the small stretch of water from Mudeford Quay. As a result, a sense of peace and tranquillity pervades. The owners of the beach huts, known as Hutters, can stay overnight from March until October. However, during winter, only day visits are allowed. The only building with mains electricity and running water is the Black House at the far end, next to Mudeford Quay. This local landmark features in a variety of smuggling and Civil War legends. However, records indicate that it was not built until 1848, for the manager of the Hengistbury Head Mining Company. Nowadays, it contains holiday apartments. Its black walls come from tar used by fishermen on their lobster pots and for waterproofing boats.