Roof siege man is handed a jail term

Three-hour stand-off fol­low­ing school break-in

Lennox Herald - - NEWS - Court re­porter

A trou­ble­maker who had to be talked down from the roof of a house in Round Rid­ing Road af­ter break­ing into Dum­bar­ton Academy has been locked up.

The Lennox Her­ald re­ported ear­lier this year how Ja­son Arthurs spent three hours on the top of the prop­erty prompt­ing po­lice ne­go­tia­tors hav­ing to be drafted in.

Po­lice were forced to close the street with fire­fight­ers also in at­ten­dance as shocked res­i­dents looked on as the 23-year-old was even­tu­ally talked down at 11pm on Satur­day, May 27.

He and co-ac­cused An­drew Pyke, 22, had just bro­ken into Dum­bar­ton Academy, how­ever, both had left empty-handed.

Po­lice had chased them on foot from the Crosslet School. Of­fi­cers caught up with Pyke but Arthurs tried to es­cape by mak­ing his way onto the house.

The duo had ear­lier raided Hermitage Academy in He­lens­burgh, mak­ing off with money. The pair, both listed as pris­on­ers of Low Moss but be­lieved to stay in Glas­gow, ap­peared at Dum­bar­ton Sher­iff Court last week af­ter ad­mit­ting both breakins.

Sher­iff Wil­liam Gal­lacher said: “You came into this area and al­lowed your­self to in­vade two sec­ondary schools.

“You caused con­sid­er­able harm with ut­ter dis­re­gard to any­one in­volved in this mat­ter. It’s im­per­a­tive upon me to mark that.”

Pyke’s defence lawyer told the court he is cur­rently in cus­tody hav­ing been sen­tenced to 27 weeks in prison fol­low­ing another of­fence in Glas­gow.

Ad­dress­ing the sher­iff, the so­lic­i­tor said: “He doesn’t in­struct me or ask my lord to deal with this mat­ter in any way other than im­pris­on­ment.

“Although there is a record be­fore the court, there are no con­vic­tions for house­break­ing al­beit there’s a mean­ing­ful con­vic­tion from April 2016 for re­set of a mo­tor ve­hi­cle.”

Pyke was handed a to­tal jail term of 18 months which will be served fol­low­ing his cur­rent spell in jail.

Arthurs’ lawyer also con­ceded the only way of deal­ing with his client was by way of im­pris­on­ment.

The court was told he was out on li­cence when the of­fences hap­pened and was re­turned to jail to serve a year to make up for the un­ex­pired part of the sen­tence he was serv­ing at the time.

He was also given an ad­di­tional jail term of two years and eight months mean­ing he will be in prison for a fur­ther 44 months.

The sher­iff added: “Each sen­tence will be con­sec­u­tive to each other. To go from one school into another is a very se­ri­ous mat­ter and will be recog­nised as that.”

Charged Ja­son Arthurs on the roof of the house on Round Rid­ing Road

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.