Laurie Pressman, vice president of the Pantone Color Institute, reveals five pattern-friendly palettes that will be trending for bathrooms in 2018
1. Combine the cool and warm shades of blue and orange to add lively character. These complementary hues can be worked into complex patterns to add visual interest via wallpaper or decorative accents.
* Try a combination of Pantone 19-3810 Eclipse (a navy blue), 17-4724 Pagoda Blue (a dazzling turquoise) and 16-1442 Melon (orange).
2. For a sense of decorum and modest luxury, consider understated pairings. A colour story of purple grey, soft pink and muted neutrals will look fresh and new.
* Try 17-1605 Elderberry (a purple-grey), 14-1905 Lotus (a soft pink), 16-1330 Muted Clay and 14-0626 Dried Moss. 3. Vivid greens mixed with soft eggshells are perfect for boosting wellbeing. This rather intense green scheme promises renewal and re-growth. You’ll find it on leafy motif repeat patterns and botanical prints next year. * Try 18-0135 Treetop (a lush green) paired with the softer 14-4809 Eggshell Blue.
4. A mix of soft metallics is pitched as the ‘new neutrals’ for 2018. It brings a layer of opulence that, in bathrooms, can prove very luxurious. Opt for textural patterned surfaces for a tactile dimension and extra lustre.
* Try 14-5002 Silver and 16-0836 Rich Gold.
5. Work earthy tones, yellows and rosy hues to achieve a multicultural vibe with a touch of the exotic. In the bathroom, these unpredictable, vibrant colour combinations will provide a treasure trove of warmth and light.
* Try 18-1355 Rooibos Tea (an earthy red) and 17-1341 Tawny Orange teamed with 15-2718 Fuchsia Pink.