Living France - - Lifestyle -

To travel to France with your horse, you must ap­ply to DEFRA for an ex­port li­cence. Visit gov.uk/govern­ment/or­gan­i­sa­tions/depart­ment-foren­vi­ron­ment-food-ru­ral-affairs for more in­for­ma­tion.

You need a ‘fit to travel’ cer­tifi­cate from a vet. This has to be is­sued within 24 hours of trav­el­ling, so you may need to book an ap­point­ment with a vet lo­cal to the port you are us­ing.

You need to en­sure that all your horse’s vac­ci­na­tions, mi­crochip data and pass­port are all up to date.

When choos­ing a horse trans­porter, make sure their dis­tances per day are re­al­is­tic, and that they have overnight ac­com­mo­da­tion ar­ranged for the horses en route if the jour­ney is likely to be a long one.

Try to find a lo­cal vet and far­rier be­fore your move, so you know who to con­tact when the need arises. A good place to start is the French Yel­low Pages. pages­jaunes.fr

Don’t worry if some­one men­tions le bombe when you’re rid­ing – it’s French for rid­ing hat! Other use­ful French words are l’eq­ui­tation, mean­ing horse-rid­ing lessons and selle, mean­ing sad­dle.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.