Brexit: what next?

Living France - - Insight -



Once you have lived in France for five con­tin­u­ous years you may ap­ply for a per­ma­nent res­i­dence per­mit, which al­lows you to stay in France for 10 years and is re­new­able. This gives you many of the same rights as French cit­i­zens (e.g. in ed­u­ca­tion, at work and in health­care), but you don’t share them all – you can’t vote in elec­tions or hold pub­lic of­fice, for ex­am­ple.

The five-year res­i­dency re­quire­ment is re­duced to two years if you are join­ing a fam­ily mem­ber who al­ready has per­ma­nent res­i­dence, or if you are the par­ent of a child with French na­tion­al­ity with tem­po­rary res­i­dence.

If you have been mar­ried to a French na­tional for more than three years you are el­i­gi­ble to ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence.


By be­com­ing a French cit­i­zen you will be en­ti­tled to the same rights and ben­e­fits as the French, in­clud­ing the right to vote in pres­i­den­tial and par­lia­men­tary elec­tions and to hold po­lit­i­cal of­fice. It would also al­low you to be­come a cit­i­zen of the Euro­pean Union, en­abling you to en­joy free­dom of move­ment within other EU mem­ber states and the right to live and work there with­out ap­ply­ing for visas.

You don’t have to give up your own na­tion­al­ity, and can have dual cit­i­zen­ship.

You can ap­ply for French cit­i­zen­ship if you meet the fol­low­ing cri­te­ria: • You are over 18. • You have lived in France for at least five con­sec­u­tive years (less un­der cer­tain cir­cum­stances, such as hav­ing stud­ied at a French uni­ver­sity). • You can demon­strate that you

have in­te­grated into French an­nual state pen­sion in­creases for ex­pats were to con­tinue.

At present, and for the next two years dur­ing with­drawal ne­go­ti­a­tions, if you qual­ify for a UK state pen­sion you can claim it in France and have it paid di­rectly into a French bank ac­count in eu­ros with­out in­cur­ring any trans­fer fees or bank charges.


life and you can speak rea­son­able French. • You are of good char­ac­ter

and morals. • You don’t have a crim­i­nal record (mi­nor of­fences such as park­ing tick­ets and speed­ing fines don’t count).

You can ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence or cit­i­zen­ship at your lo­cal pré­fec­ture. Ap­pli­ca­tions are as­sessed by the po­lice, mayor’s of­fice and var­i­ous gov­ern­ment depart­ments and may take up to two years to be ap­proved. The fol­low­ing doc­u­men­ta­tion must be pro­vided, and any­thing writ­ten in English must be trans­lated by a sworn trans­la­tor:

• The Cerfa no. 127530*1 ap­pli­ca­tion form, which is avail­able online on the gov­ern­ment web­site im­mi­gra­­ • Your birth cer­tifi­cate. • Proof of iden­tity (pass­port). The EHIC health­care card will con­tinue to be valid for as long as the UK re­mains in the EU, un­til the ne­go­ti­a­tions have been con­cluded, so you will con­tinue to have ac­cess to state­funded emer­gency med­i­cal treat­ment in any EU coun­try you visit. The card can also be used in coun­tries such as Nor­way and Ice­land who are EEA mem­bers but do not be­long to the EU, so it is pos­si­ble that the UK could adopt this model.

Re­tired Bri­tish ex­pats have their health­care paid for by the NHS via the S1 form, and whether this con­tin­ues to be the case will de­pend on the out­come of the ne­go­ti­a­tions. If the S1 sys­tem no longer ap­plies they may have to take out pri­vate health in­sur­ance. • Proof of mar­i­tal sta­tus and

whether you have chil­dren. • Ev­i­dence of em­ploy­ment and

res­i­dence in France. • Ev­i­dence that you don’t have a

crim­i­nal record. • An at­tes­ta­tion de moral­ité to at­test that you are of good moral char­ac­ter (a let­ter from your mairie is suf­fi­cient).

If suc­cess­ful, you take part in a nat­u­ral­i­sa­tion cer­e­mony, and are given a French na­tional ID card and a French pass­port.

You can also claim the right to cit­i­zen­ship if one or both of your par­ents are French cit­i­zens. Chil­dren born to for­eign cit­i­zens on French soil are au­to­mat­i­cally en­ti­tled to French na­tion­al­ity at the age of 18, as long as they cur­rently live in France and have done so for at least five years be­tween the ages of 11 and 18. Chil­dren can ap­ply for cit­i­zen­ship on their 16th birth­day if they have lived in France for at least five years since the age of 11.


New air ser­vice agree­ments will now have to be ne­go­ti­ated in or­der for Bri­tish air­lines such as easyJet to con­tinue to op­er­ate freely across Europe, as they will no longer have au­to­matic ac­cess to the sin­gle avi­a­tion mar­ket once the UK leaves the EU. The ECAA (Euro­pean Com­mon Avi­a­tion Area), which ex­tends the lib­er­alised avi­a­tion mar­ket be­yond the EU mem­ber states, could of­fer UK air­lines a way to ac­cess the sin­gle avi­a­tion mar­ket if the UK were to par­tic­i­pate in this agree­ment, as non-EU coun­try Nor­way does.

Turn to page 70 and 76 for more on Brexit

com­plete­ liv­ing-in-france

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.