Living France - - LIFESTYLE -

• Pro­fes­sional qual­i­fi­ca­tions are not es­sen­tial for run­ning a vine­yard in France, al­though they can be nec­es­sary when it comes to buy­ing agri­cul­tural land if neigh­bour­ing farm­ers are also in­ter­ested in it. In­struc­tion in wine­mak­ing is avail­able in France at var­i­ous lev­els. Cer­ti­fi­ca­tion is nec­es­sary to buy or use spray prod­ucts.

• The Springs reg­is­tered as agricul­teurs, al­though they say that as the pro­pri­etors of agri­cul­tural land, this is just a for­mal­ity. It is oblig­a­tory, how­ever, to be reg­is­tered with the Mu­tu­al­ité So­ciale Agri­cole (MSA), the so­cial se­cu­rity or­gan­i­sa­tion for farm­ers.

• All AOC (Ap­pel­la­tion d’Orig­ine Con­trôlée), AOP (Ap­pel­la­tion d’Orig­ine Pro­tégée) and IGP (In­di­ca­tion Géo­graphique Pro­tégée – pre­vi­ously Vin de Pays) wines have to pass an­a­lyt­i­cal tests and tast­ing as­sess­ments in or­der to be sold as such.

• Most vine­yards are linked to in­de­pen­dent wine lab­o­ra­to­ries, which of­fer a va­ri­ety of ser­vices. They can of­ten pro­vide con­tract ser­vices, such as bot­tling at the vine­yard with their own ma­chines.

• The Vignerons Indépen­dants fed­er­a­tion is the prin­ci­pal national or­gan­i­sa­tion for in­de­pen­dent wine­mak­ers. It lob­bies cen­tral gov­ern­ment on is­sues af­fect­ing wine pro­duc­ers and has lo­cal branches through­out the coun­try that of­fer prac­ti­cal as­sis­tance. vi­gneron-in­de­pen­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.