• Research broadband and mobile access in the area before you buy a property. Check the broadband speed available at degrouptest.com.
• A new line installation only includes one socket. If you need more, it’s cheaper for a local electrician to do the work than the telephone engineer.
• If there has never been a line at the property you will have to dig a trench from your boundary to the house and drill a hole for the cable to enter.
• If you change your telephone company you can keep your number, but only if you get an RIO code and give it to your new provider – your company will tell you how.
• Calling UK freephone numbers from France is not free. You have to pay to get your call from France onto the UK network before that free portion of the call starts.
• Research providers’ services before committing to a contract. 78 Living France July 2017