with chocolate ganache
●125ml (½ cup) coconut oil
● 300g (1½cups) apple sauce
● 500ml (2cups) unsweetened almond milk
● 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
● 100g (1 cup) rolled oats
● 400g(2¼ cups) brown rice flour
● 150g (1½ cups) coconut sugar
● 80g (1cup) raw cacao powder
● 2 tsp baking powder
● 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
● 3 medium beetroots, peeled and finely grated
● pinch of sea s alt
● 100g dark chocolate
● 155g (1 cup) unsalted raw cashews, soaked overnight
● 185ml (¾ cup) unsweetened almond milk
1 preheat the oven to 180°C/350°f/gas4. Grease two 20cm sandwich cake tins with coconut oil.
2 .Melt the oil in a small .pan over a low heat.
3 Grind the oats to a flour .in a food processor and mix with the rest of the dry ingredients, except the beetroot. In a separate bowl, mix the melted oil with the remaining wet ingredients.
4 Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and fold in the wet mixture. Stir in the beetroot, keeping two tablespoons for later.
5 Divide the mixture into cake tins and bake for 30 mins. Carefully tip out onto a cooling rack and let cool.
6 Break up the dark chocolate and melt in a heatproof bowl, over a pan of simmering water.
7 Drain the cashews and blend with the almond milk until smooth.
8 Stir in the chocolate and place in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes.
9 Spread a third of the ganache onto one of the cooled cakes. place the other cake on top and smooth the remainder over the top and sides with a palette knife.
10 Decorate with the remaining beetroot and a dusting of cacao.
serves 10-12 Eat Smart: What To Eat In A Day – Every Day by Niomi Smart (Harpercollins, £20) is out now. Pick it up at http://smarturl.it/eat-smart