Macc make a point with Bull’s header

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS -

VANARAMA CON­FER­ENCE WREX­HAM ..................... 2 MACC TOWN .................. 2

PAUL Turn­bull’s header 15 min­utes from time earned Mac­cles­field a cred­itable draw at much-fan­cied Wrex­ham.

Af­ter John Askey’s side had nosed ahead they were pegged back be­fore the break and fell be­hind on the hour mark.

But the Silk­men skip­per showed his eye for goal to grab a vi­tal equaliser at the Race­course Sta­dium.

The first ef­fort on goal came from Wrex­ham as they made the early run­ning, but Rhys Tay­lor was down well to get in the way of El­liott Dur­rell’s fizzing shot.

That ef­fort aside, the Silk­men had been fairly com­fort­able in keep­ing their hosts at bay and dom­i­nated in parts, re­ly­ing on the at­tack­ing threat posed by Arthur Gna­houa and Adri­ano Moke, who were both find­ing some joy on the greasy Race­course Sta­dium sur­face.

But it was Macc’s lone striker, Waide Fairhurst, who took time out from har­ry­ing his de­fend­ers to break the dead­lock five min­utes be­fore half-time.

There seemed lit­tle dan­ger when he re­ceived a pass from Andy Halls with his back to goal.

But a neat turn to leave Blaine Hud­son floun­der­ing opened up the space for a shot and when it came it left Andy Cough­lin red-faced as it skimmed off the treach­er­ous sur- face, went through his grasp and found its way in­side the post.

Wrex­ham would have prob­a­bly felt hard done by to trail at the break, but two for­mer Silk­men com­bined to en­sure that didn’t hap­pen, as Con­nor Jen­nings nod­ded in a floated cross from left-back Neil Ash­ton.

And Macc looked on course for their first loss of the sea­son when the height of cen­tre-back Blaine Hud­son proved telling.

No one could match up to him as he nod­ded in Dur­rell’s ball into the dan­ger area.

It was the first time Macc had been be­hind in a game this sea­son and gave them a chance to prove their char­ac­ter.

And they passed the test to earn a de­served point when Turn­bull rose to glance Fairhurst’s cross in­side the far post.

Ei­ther side could have grabbed the win in the dy­ing stages but af­ter Adri­ano Moke’s curl­ing ef­fort didn’t quite have enough bend to find the far cor­ner, Wrex­ham’s Manny Smith some­how put a close-range header wide in in­jury-time.

Tak­ing ei­ther chance would have in­flicted a de­feat with a knock­out blow that nei­ther side would re­ally have de­served, given the fare they’d served up.

“I thought we played well, and pos­si­bly we had the bet­ter chances,” said man­ager John Askey, whose men ex­tended their un­beaten start to the sea­son to five games.

“They huffed and puffed a lit­tle bit in the sec­ond half but I thought in the first half we dom­i­nated, al­though we were slow to start.

“But I’m a lit­tle bit dis­ap­pointed re­ally, we could have come away with the three points. Having said that, when it was 2-1 I’d have been happy to take the point.

“Ob­vi­ously Wrex­ham are tipped to be around the play-offs, they’ve spent heav­ily, the front three are all new and they’ll cause any­body a threat.

“So on that ba­sis it’s a good point.”

Tay­lor, Halls, Wa­ter­fall, Pilk­ing­ton, Bar­row, Moke, Turn­bull, Lewis, Gon­za­lez (Rouse 63), Gna­houa, Fairhurst.



Brana­gan, Lavelle-Moore, Cowan, Hain­ing.

Cough­lin, Car­ring­ton, Smith, Hud­son, Ash­ton, Clarke, Dur­rell (Bishop 69), Har­ris (Evans 46), Jen­nings, Moult, York.



Bach­mann, Bai­ley-Jones, Stephens.

Pics cour­tesy of Peter Hil­ton

●● Paul Turn­bull headed in Macc’s equaliser to en­sure their un­beaten run con­tin­ued at Wrex­ham

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.