Bright start but a fa­mil­iar out­come

Macclesfield Express - - MOTORS - ALEXAN­DER HAN­NAH

LEAGUE ONE NORTH MAC­CLES­FIELD ............ 24 TYNEDALE ..................... 60

MAC­CLES­FIELD suf­fered a heavy loss against Tynedale at Pri­ory Park on Satur­day as their search for a first win of the sea­son con­tin­ues.

The de­feat made it six losses on the bounce for Giles Hea­gerty’s men.

The Blues started the brighter of the two sides and were re­warded for this on the score­board.

Firstly, a penalty from Tom Ea­ton and then a try from Matt King put The Blues 10-0 up.

The try was a re­sult of a fan­tas­tic line break from Phil Wil­liams which then gave the backs quick ball and an over­lap which King took full ad­van­tage of to get his fourth try of the sea­son.

Macc then al­lowed the vis­i­tors back into the game and Tynedale were more than happy to ac­cept this gift, they scored three tries in 10 min­utes with scores from Char­ters, Con­non, and Fran­k­land with the first of his five-try haul which meant Tynedale were 10-21 up after 25 min­utes.

The Blues then re­gained some con­trol of the match and looked very dan­ger­ous in the op­po­si­tion half.

The away side could only with­stand the pres­sure for so long and then hooker, Sam Moss bun­dled him­self over the line to get The Blues back in the game.

Ea­ton’s con­ver­sion meant the Blues were just four points be­hind with a minute of the first half to play.

Tynedale then re­stored their lead go­ing into half­time as they re­tained the ball from the kick off and took ad­van­tage of poor Mac­cles­field dis­ci­pline and kicked to the cor­ner. The vis­i­tors had a very strong set piece and showed it from the li­ne­out as the whole pack crashed over the line to make it 17-26.

The Blues went in at half-time very much still in the game and could even feel ag­grieved to be as far be­hind as they were after play­ing some fan­tas­tic rugby of their own.

Soon after half-time, Tynedale set the tone for the sec­ond half as Fran­k­land grabbed his sec­ond of the match and coasted through The Blues’ de­fence, as he reaped the ben­e­fits of the hard work­ing pack in front of him.

Ten min­utes later, another catch and drive line out was the down­fall of The Blues as the vis­i­tors piled in and only stopped over the white­wash, mean­ing that Fran­k­land com­pleted his hat-trick.

On 60 min­utes, Tynedale added another try, this time winger Visser grabbed the first of his sec­ond half brace to make it 17-43.

Fran­k­land then added his fourth try; he found him­self on the re­ceiv­ing end of an au­da­cious chip from blind­side flanker Temm and gal­loped through the on­look­ing Mac­cles­field de­fence.

On 70 min­utes Visser com­pleted his brace and shortly after Fran­k­land com­pleted his five-try haul leav­ing the score at 17-60 with not long left on the score­board.

The Blues grabbed a late con­so­la­tion through Matt O’Re­gan after great work from Rho­dri Mayor.

●● Phillip Wil­liams makes a break for­ward for the Blues dur­ing Satur­day’s game against Tynedale

Do­minic Sal­ter

●● The Macc scrum pit their wits against Tynedale

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.