Centre helps carers to offer vital support
HOSPICE user Sarah Shackleton-Lamptey has spoken out about the support East Cheshire Hospice has given not just to her but her family.
The hospice set itself a target to increase support to carers and has introduced new afternoon and evening support groups complete with individualised programmes.
Sarah has been using the Sunflower Centre for nearly two years since being diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.
Her mother-in-law Jane Lamptey has been helped by attending support sessions weekly, and the hospice has also developed a nine-week programme to equip carers with coping strategies and selfmanagement skills as well as offering an assessment specific to each carer’s needs.
Sarah said: “Jane has been a great support.
“She has tapped into the hospice facilities by using the Carers Drop-In on Wednesdays and the Carers Group on the first Tuesday of the month.
“They give carers a chance to speak to other people in the same position, share stories and tips, and it’s good to know there is support out there and people in the same boat.
“The Lamptey family are all there for me on a daily basis.
“I know I can call on any one of them no matter what time of the day, I know they will be there for me.
“Their support has been so positive it has made my journey so much easier.
“I love them all and hope they know how much they all mean to me.”
Jane said: “Sarah is a beautiful, amazing person, she has a massive zest for life and is great fun to be around.
“Sarah always thinks of other people and is keen to help.
“Recently Sarah introduced me to the support group for carers at the hospice.
“The group was very friendly and welcoming, and they are a great support.
“I would encourage any carer to use this service.”
Sunflower Centre manager Sandra Jones said: “Carers, whether friends and family or volunteers, give so much of themselves to the patient that they are in danger of neglecting their own wellbeing.
“There is a necessity for the carers to keep up their strength and spirit to continue caring.
“Our groups help carers talk about their emotions and share advice.”
For more information on support for carers contact Sandra Jones on 01625 665685. ●● ONLINE shoppers can now give to East Cheshire Hospice by just clicking through a special website which gives its commissions to hospices.
The hospice has joined forces with care2save.co. uk, a new website that lets shoppers give to their favourite charities just by doing their normal shopping.
And the charity behind the website also donates its share of sales commissions to hospices across the UK.
Care2Save launched its new site earlier this month during Hospice Care Week to highlight its connections to caring for people with life-limiting illnesses.
Amy Magee, fundraising manager at East Cheshire Hospice, said: “We are delighted to be supporting Care2Save.
“We will be encouraging our supporters to shop online at www.care2save. co.uk to help raise funds and enable us to provide the necessary care and support to the local community.”
Care2Save was developed by fundraisers at fellow Cheshire hospice St Luke’s in Winsford to benefit all of the 223 hospices in the UK.
Amy said every time a shopper uses the portal to buy from more than 2,000 online retailers, the businesses pay a commission to Care2Save.
Care2Save automatically gives 20 per cent of the commission to help UK hospices, while the shopper simply chooses which favourite charity they want to get the remaining 80 per cent.
Amy said: “There are more than six million products available on www.care2save.co.uk from more than 2,000 retailers, from Boots to Marks and Spencer, Topman to Travelodge.
“Care2Save is the only shopping website run by a registered charity and the only one to give 100 per cent of the commission generated from your purchase to charity – at no extra cost to you.
“Care2Save has a unique connection to the hospice sector.”
Andrea Fragata Ladeira, chief executive of Care2Save, said: “Everyone likes to shop. Now you can do so with the added reassurance that you’re raising money for the charity of your choice and you’re supporting those care givers providing hospice and palliative care to adults and children across the UK and around the world – all at no additional cost to you.”
●● Nurse Joy Stevenson shows how online shoppers can boost hospice funds
●● Sarah Shackleton-Lamptey, right, and Jane Lamptey