Fire warn­ing af­ter tot accidentally starts blaze

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE -

FIRE chiefs have is­sued a warn­ing af­ter a tod­dler accidentally started a blaze at a house.

Adults in the house on Raglan Road in Hurds­field were un­aware that the tod­dler had been play­ing in the kitchen and had turned on the hob.

Com­bustible ma­te­ri­als on the hob had ig­nited, caus­ing the fire.

The tod­dler had left the kitchen by this time and for­tu­nately no­body was in­jured.

Fire­fight­ers were called to put out the blaze on Mon­day at 11am.

The crew, two wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus, put out the fire us­ing a hose reel jet, re­moved the oven out­side and cleared the prop­erty of smoke us­ing a high pres­sure fan.

Ste­wart For­shaw, manager of Macclesfield Sta­tion, said: “In this in­ci­dent the two main fac­tors that caused the fire were a child play­ing unat­tended in the kitchen and com­bustible ma­te­ri­als left on top of a hob. Chil­dren are nat­u­rally cu­ri­ous so shouldn’t be left unat­tended in the kitchen.

“Also, it is good prac­tice never to leave any­thing com­bustible on a hob or cooker top.

“More than half of ac­ci­den­tal fires in the home start in the kitchen but in­ci­dents could be avoided if peo­ple fol­low our safety ad­vice.”

●● The re­mains of the hob af­ter the fire at a house in Raglan Road in Hurds­field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.