HOMES Got it cov­ered? 1YOUR

It’s of­ten only when roofs leak that we re­mem­ber they need care and at­ten­tion like ev­ery­thing else. JU­LIA GRAy has tips for keep­ing on top of things

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES -

home’s roof should be in­spected at least twice a year, both from the out­side (prefer­ably us­ing binoc­u­lars) and in­side the loft. If you can see day­light in the loft, there’s prob­a­bly some­thing miss­ing on the out­side.

Roof tiles or slates that have bro­ken, slipped out of place, or been blown off are a com­mon oc­cur­rence. If they’re not re­placed, rain­wa­ter will get into the loft and cause dam­age there and then to the rooms be­low.

Wa­ter stain­ing in the loft is an early warn­ing sign of a prob­lem with the roof cov­er­ing, so get it looked at by a rep­utable roofer straight­away.

agreed by the seller. chil­dren get di­vorced or go bank­rupt. The gift would also not work if in­her­i­tance tax is a prob­lem so you should dis­cuss it with your solic­i­tor.


I WAS di­vorced and have re­mar­ried, but my ex-wife has re­cently started up in busi­ness us­ing my sur­name. She has run up huge debts in the past so I don’t want her to have any­thing more to do with me. What are my rights as re­gards pre­vent­ing her us­ing my name? THERE’S prob­a­bly noth­ing you can do. Adults can gen­er­ally use what­ever name they choose as long as their mo­tive isn’t fraud­u­lent, and it is com­mon for di­vorced women to con­tinue to use their for­mer mar­ried name. How­ever, if you are in a sim­i­lar line of busi­ness to your ex-wife’s you may be able to pre­vent her us­ing your sur­name for busi­ness pur­poses if she is try­ing to pass her busi­ness off as yours. To avoid prob­lems with credit ref­er­ence agen­cies, check that she is no longer listed as living at your ad­dress on the elec­toral roll. THE build­ing firm that fit­ted the damp-course in my house a few years ago got into trou­ble and was taken over by a na­tional com­pany. The firm’s new own­ers say they’ve no obli­ga­tion to hon­our my guar­an­tee. Is this true? IT de­pends en­tirely on the agree­ment the com­pa­nies made about guar­an­tees when the takeover took place. Some­times they’ll de­cide to hon­our them for a de­fined pe­riod, say three years, in or­der to main­tain the good­will of the orig­i­nal firm’s cus­tomers. If the build­ing firm was a mem­ber of a pro­fes­sional or­gan­i­sa­tion it may be worth ap­proach­ing them for as­sis­tance. You may also find that the sup­pli­ers of the chem­i­cals used in con­nec­tion with the damp treat­ment come to your res­cue, as they of­ten un­der­write the guar­an­tees. The sup­plier’s name should be on your guar­an­tee so you can con­tact them di­rect.

Call SAS Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any legal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton, OL9 8EF, or leave your query on the legal ad­vice line: 0117 964 4794.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.