An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES - UP­ROOT­ING THE GAR­DEN GIV­ING EARLy

Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors WHEN we bought our house the pre­vi­ous owner filled in a form list­ing all the things she was go­ing to take with her – car­pets and cur­tains etc. Noth­ing was men­tioned about the gar­den, but when we fi­nally moved in she’d taken out plants and bushes and even the gar­den shed. Can we force her to re­place, if not re­turn, some of the things she’s taken? IT sounds as if the pre­vi­ous owner signed a Prop­erty In­for­ma­tion Form. This in­cludes gar­den pro­duce and sheds, so you should check to see what was in­cluded, and you can claim com­pen­sa­tion if you can prove she has bro­ken the con­tract. Sheds aren’t nec­es­sar­ily re­garded as a fix­ture: it de­pends on how firmly they’re fas­tened down. See your solic­i­tor, and get a copy of the form com­pleted and IS it pos­si­ble for me to put my house into my two sons’ names so that it be­longs to them even though I con­tinue to live in it un­til I die? MANY older peo­ple ask this ques­tion be­cause they want to be cer­tain their chil­dren will in­herit their prop­erty. But usu­ally the an­swer is that it’s bet­ter sim­ply to leave the prop­erty to their chil­dren in their will. If the house is trans­ferred dur­ing the par­ent’s life­time the chil­dren are likely to have to pay cap­i­tal gains tax on this house – ie your home – when they come to sell it un­less they ac­tu­ally live there. There is also the risk that the par­ent will lose the roof over their head if ei­ther of the

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.