De­cent draw against League One high-fly­ers Dale

Macclesfield Express - - SEARCH -

MAC­CLES­FIELD .............. 0 ROCHDALE ....................... 0

get­ting on the end of a Reuben Noble-Lazarus cor­ner, but goal­keeper Ritchie Brana­gan made a good save to deny him.

The Silk­men then be­gan to come into the match more as it pro­gressed, with Jack Samp­son hav­ing their best op­por­tu­nity of the first half.

The for­ward found him­self one on one with Rochdale stop­per Johny Diba af­ter latch­ing on to Danny Whi­taker’s pin-point pass, but he could only hit his ef­fort straight at the op­po­si­tion goal­keeper.

Lund was again caus­ing prob­lems for the away side at the other end, with another of his head­ers cleared off the line on 32 min­utes.

Both teams then had half-chances as the in­ter­val ap­proached, first through Danny Rowe who smashed a 20-yard ef­fort high over the cross­bar.

Rochdale’s Calvin An­drew and Jamie Allen then split the Macc de­fence with a neat one-two, be­fore Brana­gan man­aged to stop the at­tack.

That move proved to be the last ac­tion of the half, with the two teams go­ing into the break with the score 0-0.

Mac­cles­field in­tro­duced sev­eral tri­al­ists dur­ing the sec­ond half, but they were un­able to make a ma­jor im­pact as the pace of the match sig­nif­i­cantly slowed.

The away side en­joyed a spell of pos­ses­sion just be­fore the hour mark, and Tom Kennedy nearly made it count when his shot flew nar­rowly past the up­right.

The first chance for Macc since the in­ter­val then fell to midfielder Paul Lewis when his curl­ing ef­fort from the edge of the box was hit off tar­get.

Rochdale were strug­gling to cre­ate any clear-cut op­por­tu­ni­ties and the hosts nearly made them pay when they rat­tled the wood­work.

Kris­tian Dennis smashed a loop­ing shot to­wards goal, but his strike smashed off the cross­bar with Diba well beaten.

The Silk­men nearly made the break­through in the dy­ing stages when Theo Bai­ley-Jones hit a pow­er­ful drive across goal.

Diba got down well to deny him in what turned out to be the last ac­tion of the match, with the game fin­ish­ing 0-0.

Sum­mer sign­ing Curtis Haynes-Brown fea­tured for Macc in the sec­ond half of the game and has been im­pressed with what he’s seen on and off the field so far at the Moss Rose.

“The team did very well – I thought we were a lot bet­ter than the pre­vi­ous game we’d played,” he said.

“We’re get­ting a lot of run­ning and a lot of work with the ball, which has been a nice sur­prise.

“The lads who are on trial are fit­ting in well – it’s like they have al­ready signed.

“It would be nice to get a cou­ple of wins be­fore the start of the sea­son and take some mo­men­tum into the Torquay game.”

Macc were due to face another League One side, Bury, at home on Wed­nes­day evening as the Ex­press went to press.

●● Danny Whi­taker

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.