Macc shine in seven heaven

Macclesfield Express - - SEARCH - SHEL­DAN KEAY

MAC­CLES­FIELD ............ 7 CON­GLE­TON .................. 1

MAC­CLES­FIELD Town ended their pre-sea­son cam­paign in per­fect style af­ter pick­ing up an em­phatic win over Con­gle­ton Town.

Two goals from Kris­tian Dennis along with strikes from Danny Whi­taker, Danny White­head, James Poole, John Mars­den and Theo Bai­ley-Jones helped the Silk­men run out win­ners.

The game started off in wor­ry­ing fash­ion for Macc when Danny Rowe went down in­jured, be­fore Curtis Haynes-Brown also re­quired treat­ment for the home side.

Rowe man­aged to con­tinue, but Haynes-Brown wasn’t so lucky, as he was stretchered off the pitch and re­placed by Dan Cowan.

It was Cowan who cre­ated the first op­por­tu­nity on nine min­utes, with his good work on the right al­low­ing Whi­taker to run free in the box, but his ef­fort was well saved by Con­gle­ton goal­keeper An­drew Far­ri­mond.

The Silk­men con­tin­ued their bright start and on 15 min­utes they went close again when Tony Diange’s cross was met by Dennis, but his fierce ef­fort can­noned back off the post.

Mac­cles­field fi­nally made the break­through on 27 min­utes when Chris Hol­royd crossed for Dennis in the box.

The striker saw his first ef­fort saved, but he was quickly on hand to prod home the re­bound and give the Silk­men the lead.

Rowe and Dennis each tried to grab a sec­ond, but it was the visi­tors who went clos­est to scor­ing as the half went on.

They could have lev­elled on two oc­ca­sions, first through Andy Al­ston who headed wide be­fore Richard Bay­ley saw a pow­er­ful drive well saved as the Silk­men went into the break with a nar­row 1-0 lead.

Man­ager John Askey made one change at the in­ter­val with Ritchie Brana­gan com­ing on, but it was ac­tion at the other end at the start of the sec­ond­half as Dennis bagged his sec­ond of the af­ter­noon.

Diange found space on the left be­fore find­ing an un­marked Dennis in the cen­tre to head the ball home and dou­ble his side’s lead.

Askey made his sec­ond change of the game fol­low­ing that goal, in­tro­duc­ing Bai­ley-Jones for the im­pres­sive Rowe, and it was Bai­ley-Jones who had a key role in mak­ing it 3-0.

His ini­tial ef­fort was well-saved, only for Whi­taker to slot home into an empty net af­ter the ball fell into his path.

Whi­taker and Dennis were then re­placed by Mars­den and Poole, and it was Poole who made it 4-0 when his stun­ning free­kick flew past a help­less Far­ri­mond and into the back of the net.

The Silk­men quickly added a fifth as more good work from Poole saw him find Bai­ley-Jones in the box and he scored to in­crease the lead.

De­spite the heavy deficit, Con­gle­ton kept press­ing for a con­so­la­tion goal, and it fi­nally ar­rived when Scott McGowan prod­ded home from close range af­ter the home side failed to clear a cor­ner.

Macc quickly re­stored their five-goal ad­van­tage when Mars­den got in on the act with a goal of his own, be­fore White­head rounded off the vic­tory with a long-range ef­fort to make it 7-1.

Matt Rat­cliffe

●● Danny Whi­taker scored Mac­cles­field’s third goal in the 7-1 vic­tory over Con­gle­ton Town

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.