Rain clouds de­prive Ker­ridge of home win

Macclesfield Express - - SEARCH - PETER BARRON


WITH the weather forecast for Satur­day oc­ca­sional showers, Ker­ridge was sur­prised when be­ing asked to first bat by the vis­it­ing side Traf­ford Metro­vics.

This was pos­si­bly be­cause Ker­ridge had al­ready dis­missed this team for just 35 runs ear­lier in the sea­son.

Traf­ford did have im­me­di­ate suc­cess with the new ball through Mo­hammed (2-61) and Umair(1-53) when both open­ing bats­men Re­gan and Har­bige were caught and bowled re­spec­tively within the first three overs.

More sur­pris­ingly the score was on 13 and no runs had come off the bat.

This soon changed when Luke Wild part­nered with Josh Cap­per saw the score to 108-3, be­fore Cap­per was caught for 20 at square leg.

Andy McKeith then con­trib­uted with a

STAND-IN cap­tain, Rob Porter, won the toss and elected to field first as Mac­cles­field wel­comed top of the ta­ble Alder­ley Edge to Vic­to­ria Road.

Jack Ward (spon­sored by East Cheshire Mort­gages), back from in­jury and on his first run out since be­ing called up to Cheshire first team, took the new ball along with John Bir­chall.

Both bowlers started well and it was Bir­chall (1-58) who struck first with the key wicket of Calum Rowe for one run, with a sharp de­liv­ery seam­ing back into the exBolling­ton player’s pads.

De­spite both bowlers forc­ing false shots from the bats­men and go­ing past the edge on nu­mer­ous oc­ca­sions, Macc could just not add to their early break­through.

In­stead, in a fa­mil­iar fash­ion to the con­test ear­lier in the sea­son, Alder­ley be­gan to re­build.

Through Alan Day and Richard Wilkin­son, the away side care­fully went about con­struct­ing a big to­tal.

Day, af­ter a watch­ful start, then be­gan to take a lik­ing to any full bowl­ing as his in­nings gath­ered pace.

Mean­while, Wilkin­son played sen­si­bly as he played a key an­chor role.

Macc brought about the changes, which saw spells from Bar­ney Cut­bill, Will Smith, Sultan Raja and Bir­chall (rein­tro­duced from the op­po­site end), as they searched for a wicket.

Alder­ley re­mained res­o­lute how­ever and were not giv­ing their wick­ets away easily.

Af­ter a short rain de­lay, Day brought up his 50 and well-worked 28, be­fore los­ing his stumps to Mo­hammed.

How­ever, the day be­longed to Luke Wild with his un­beaten knock of 119, which saw 22 bound­aries despatched ex­pertly all around the park, in­clud­ing eight max­i­mums – one of which was boomed back over which was now los­ing overs with each rain break.

Things did even­tu­ally turn for Macc though af­ter one par­tic­u­lar break, as Cut­bill took three more wick­ets in an event­ful five overs, as Alder­ley tried to in­crease the tempo.

The first vic­tim in this par­tic­u­lar flurry of wick­ets was Wilkin­son (60), when he toed a pull shot back to Cut­bill, who took an easy catch.

Not long af­ter Cut­bill had Perry (2) caught be­hind by Ber­tus and then a catch from Keen at cover re­moved Cur­rie (4).

Alder­ley had gone from 161-2 to 169-5. Macc were right back in the con­test.

How­ever, the rain came again – and stayed this time.

The out­field and square the bowlers head to reach his 100 in­side the 25th over.

Ker­ridge’s dec­la­ra­tion came in just the 28th over with the score 211-6, with bad weather clos­ing in forc­ing the de­ci­sion.

With the wet weather al­ready hav­ing forced an early tea, and nu­mer­ous on and offs, Ker­ridge were only on the field for five overs in re­ply and the score on 5-1, with McKeith get­ting a wicket LBW sec­ond ball, when the weather put paid to what seemed cer­tain to be a home win.

Ker­ridge are back in ac­tion against Westminster Park on Au­gust 18.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.