Gulls pounce on


THE new sea­son started as the pre­vi­ous one had fin­ished – with a dis­ap­point­ing re­sult down at Torquay.

How­ever, where April’s draw at Plain­moor left lit­tle room for op­ti­mism, end­ing the Silk­men’s play­off pur­suit, there were pos­i­tives to be gleaned from Satur­day’s loss on the open­ing day of the cam­paign.

The away side dom­i­nated pro­ceed­ings in the first half and with sharper fin­ish­ing in front of goal, the re­turn jour­ney north might have been very dif­fer­ent.

As it was, Torquay sur­vived Macc’s pe­ri­ods of pres­sure and scored the all-im­por­tant goal 15 min­utes af­ter the in­ter­val, a scrappy close-range fin­ish from Alex Fisher de­cid­ing the out­come of the con­test.

The first chance of the game fell to Torquay in­side the open­ing minute when Joe Quigley, on loan from Premier league side Bournemouth, went through on goal only to fire his shot well wide of Mac­cles­field debu­tant Sh­wal Jalal’s goal.

From then on, right up to the in­ter­val, it was all Mac­cles­field.

Danny Whi­taker should have put the Silk­men ahead on two oc­ca­sions. His first ef­fort was dragged wide while his sec­ond was stopped smartly by Torquay goal­keeper Fabian Speiss with his legs.

Later on in the half Whi­taker had another ef­fort, this time from out­side the box, which was de­flected over the bar.

Torquay would have been the hap­pier of the two sides at half time de­spite com­ing more in to the game as the half pro­gressed, with Mac­cles- field per­haps feel­ing like they should have been a cou­ple of goals up at the break.

The sec­ond half started with Mac­cles­field on top again, Tony Diange go­ing clos­est to open­ing the scor­ing for the Silk­men with a header that was pushed wide by Speiss in the Torquay goal.

The in­tro­duc­tion of ex Mac­cles­field player Malachi Lavelle-Moore on 58 min­utes proved to be the turn­ing point for the home side. He in­stantly forced a won­der­ful save from Jalal af­ter a goal­mouth scram­ble.

It was from the re­sult­ing cor­ner, how­ever, that Torquay took the lead.

The ball was whipped in and af­ter the Mac­cles­field de­fence failed to clear their lines. The ball fell to Torquay striker Fisher, who swept it into the net from close range.

The goal seemed to de­flate Mac­cles­field while in­spir­ing the home side to kick on and search for a killer sec­ond.

They al­most got it straight away through Fisher again. LavelleMoore sent in a lovely cross which found Fisher un­marked and he should at least have hit the tar­get.

The trav­el­ling Macc fans got a glimpse of their for­mer favourite Waide Fairhurst, who made his Torquay de­but with 10 min­utes re­main­ing.

It nearly paid off when the ex-Silk­man man hit a shot that went just wide af­ter a lovely foot­balling move.

Torquay saw out the fi­nal few min­utes with rel-

‘To miss those chances was crim­i­nal re­ally, but the main thing is we cre­ated them’

ative ease and got all three points leav­ing Mac­cles­field to rue their missed chances in the first half.

“The re­sult isn’t what we wanted, I thought in the first half we played re­ally well, we could’ve

Matt Rat­cliffe

●● Danny Whi­taker had a cou­ple of chances at Torquay

Matt Rat­cliffe

●● John Askey was pleased with the amount of chances his Macc side cre­ated at Torquay on Satur­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.