Tod­dler in hos­pi­tal af­ter he ‘swal­lowed cannabis’

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE - KAREN BRIT­TON karen.brit­ton@men­media.co.uk @KarenBrit­ton1

ATODDLER was taken to hos­pi­tal af­ter eat­ing drugs he picked up from the ground out­side his home.

Mum Stacey Cot­ter­ill, 25, was tak­ing the bins out at the Maple­wood shel­tered hous­ing com­plex in Mac­cles­field with 19-month-old son Archie when he picked up a pack­age from the ground.

She said the torn car­rier bag had cannabis in­side and she was hor­ri­fied when she saw he had put it in his mouth.

Stacey rushed Archie to Mac­cles­field Hos­pi­tal and he was ad­mit­ted into A&E be­fore be­ing moved to a chil­dren’s ward.

Stacey, who lives with Archie’s dad Gareth Booth, said: “It was hor­rific.

“I took the bins out with Archie and saw him bend down and pick some­thing up. It had green stuff in­side, it was cannabis and it was in his mouth.

“I snatched it away and there was a tear in the bag so I pan­icked and took him in a taxi to Mac­cles­field Hos­pi­tal.

“He was very pale and re­ally hy­per­ac­tive, with a high tem­per­a­ture and was be­ing sick.

“They kept him in overnight and mon­i­tored his heart rate and oxy­gen.

“The doc­tors think he swal­lowed some of the drugs. It was hor­ri­ble, he was very dis­tressed.”

Stacey said she and her part­ner have found drugs and nee­dles out­side the flats be­fore and made com­plaints to po­lice and to land­lord Your Hous­ing, which man­ages Maple­wood.

Stacey said: “We’ve re­ported it to the land­lord but noth­ing has been done.

“It’s dis­gust­ing that peo­ple can leave drugs that a child can pick up. It could have been a lot worse.”

A Cheshire Po­lice spokesman said of­fi­cers are test­ing the sub­stance.

He said: “We re­ceived a call from the woman to say while tak­ing the bins out she be­lieved her young child found a bag of cannabis and put it in his mouth. We col­lected the bag from her home for test­ing and vis­ited the hos­pi­tal.”

East Cheshire NHS Trust which runs the hos­pi­tal would not com­ment on Archie’s case but Dr John Hunter, med­i­cal di­rec­tor, said: “If a par­ent sus­pects their child may have ingested an illegal drug they should seek med­i­cal help im­me­di­ately as this can be life-threat­en­ing.

“If the child is show­ing signs of be­ing se­ri­ously ill such as sick­ness, dizzi­ness, breath­ing dif­fi­cul­ties or drowsi­ness, dial 999 or take them to A&E.

“Take sub­stances you think the child may have ingested with you so they can be an­a­lysed.”

Peter Har­ri­son, head of Cheshire for Your Hous­ing Group, said: “In the past six months we have made Maple­wood more se­cure by al­ter­ing the de­sign and ac­cess to the rear com­mu­nal door, up­grad­ing the CCTV and paint­ing the com­mu­nal ar­eas.

“We have also worked with the po­lice in tak­ing en­force­ment ac­tion against a num­ber of res­i­dents for a va­ri­ety of an­ti­so­cial be­hav­iour, in­clud­ing drug use.”

●● Gareth and Stacey with their son Archie who was taken to hos­pi­tal af­ter ap­par­ently eat­ing cannabis found on the ground out­side his home

●● The bag which Archie ate from

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.