Royal rev­e­la­tion at Rowsley ram­ble

Macclesfield Express - - EAST CHESHIRE RAMBLERS - MAR­ION DUFF

THE bustling up­mar­ket Der­byshire vil­lage of Rowsley, near Chatsworth, was veiled in grey au­tumn mist when a band of 11 East Cheshire ram­blers set off on a nine mile walk re­cently led by Steve Hull.

Lo­cated on the A6 at the con­flu­ence of the Der­went and the Wye, Rowsley was once a ma­jor rail hub with mar­shalling yards and en­gine sheds and a Vic­to­rian sta­tion de­signed by Sir Joseph Pax­ton that is now a busy shop­ping com­plex.

An­other pop­u­lar tourist haunt is Caud­well Mill, a Vic­to­rian corn mill that is thought to have the only wa­ter-pow­ered tur­bine flour roller still in op­er­a­tion.

As­cend­ing out of the vil­lage via Church Lane, the party passed the Pea­cock pub, a Grade II listed ho­tel dat­ing from 1652, to reach a ma­ture wood­land rich with au­tumn colours and a pro­fu­sion of bird song.

Af­ter paus­ing to enjoy the ex­pe­ri­ence, the walk­ers joined a path to con­nect with the Mon­sal Trail and then had an easy am­ble into Bakewell for a cof­fee stop be­fore pro­ceed­ing past the golf course and on to Eden­sor.

Lunch was taken at Queen Mary’s Bower on the Chatsworth es­tate which was built by Bess of Hard­wick in 1550 as a view­ing and fish­ing plat­form.

Ac­cord­ing to leg­end, it was later used to form a raised ex­er­cise ground for Mary Queen of Scots while she was in­car­cer­ated at Chatsworth House in the 1570s.

The ram­blers re­turned to Rowsley along the path that runs be­side the Der­went to ar­rive at Caud­well Mill just in time for af­ter­noon tea and cake be­fore driv­ing home.

For fur­ther in­for­ma­tion go to ram­blerseast cheshire.org.uk.

●● The group at Queen Mary’s Bower, Chatsworth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.