An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES - MUM CAn STAY

MY fa­ther has had to go into an el­derly per­sons’ home. My mother is wor­ried that the lo­cal author­ity might in­sist that the house is sold to pay for my fa­ther’s care home fees. Will my mother be put out on the street to pay the fees? WHEN the so­cial ser­vices depart­ment makes an as­sess­ment of your fa­ther’s abil­ity to pay the home fees, it is not al­lowed to take into ac­count the value of the house if it is still oc­cu­pied by your mother. If she dies, or goes into a res­i­den­tial home her­self, the coun­cil then has the right to bring the house into its cal­cu­la­tions and, likely as not, money from the sale of the property would have to go to­wards pay­ing for the home fees. See a so­lic­i­tor for ad­vice on ways of pro­tect­ing your property.

MY hus­band died two

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.