HOMES Fab fes­tive fix­tures SAM WYLIE-HAR­RIS

Hit a home run with this year’s gifts. re­veal­sre­vea her pick of presents for in­te­rior de­sign fans IS

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES -

value of the de­posit if it hasn’t. Each scheme has a free dis­pute res­o­lu­tion ser­vice for re­solv­ing dis­putes. If the land­lord agrees to use this ser­vice its de­ci­sion will be bind­ing. If the land­lord doesn’t agree you may have to go to court to get your money back.


I WAS too old to get a mort­gage ten years ago so my son took out a mort­gage on my be­half, and I have paid all the costs in­volved, in­clud­ing re­pay­ments, ever since. I now wish to pay off the bal­ance of the mort­gage with my son’s agree­ment. What’s the best way to pro­ceed? I TAKE it the property is reg­is­tered in your son’s name at the Land Registry. So if you trans­fer it into your name at this stage you could be­come li­able to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax on the amount of mort­gage out­stand­ing, de­pend­ing on the property’s value. So it would prob­a­bly be a good idea to pay off the mort­gage first, prior to the trans­fer. Since your son has in ef­fect been hold­ing the property on trust for you - i.e. own­ing it on your be­half – this shouldn’t present a prob­lem, but dis­cuss it with your so­lic­i­tor.


THE coun­cil has sent me a let­ter to say that for £1,000 I could buy the 20-me­tre long strip at the front of my gar­den where there’s a high hedge. I thought I al­ready owned it: I’ve cer­tainly looked af­ter the hedge for 19 years! How do I know they’re right, and can I claim the land as mine? THE bound­aries are prob­a­bly shown on your ti­tle deeds or, if your property is reg­is­tered at the Land Registry, on a file there. But it’s likely that the coun­cil is right, and they re­tained the strip in front of your house at some time in the past in or­der to lay a pave­ment. If the land is reg­is­tered there are ways of claim­ing ad­verse pos­ses­sion but this isn’t straight­for­ward so you should speak to a so­lic­i­tor. MY mother died nearly five years ago, and my sis­ter and I were the only ben­e­fi­cia­ries of her will. Are we legally en­ti­tled to a fi­nal state­ment of her en­tire es­tate? I have asked the so­lic­i­tor, ac­coun­tant and ex­ecu­tors sev­eral times to no avail. We re­ceived all the sums nom­i­nated by the so­lic­i­tor over three years ago. ALL ‘resid­uary’ ben­e­fi­cia­ries of a will – that means you – are en­ti­tled to in­spect the ac­counts show­ing how the es­tate has been dis­trib­uted, and the ex­ecu­tors are duty bound to keep ac­cu­rate records of ex­actly what was done and when. The solic­i­tors and ac­coun­tants will have been in­structed to carry out th­ese func­tions on be­half of the ex­ecu­tors, but it’s the ex­ecu­tors who have to make the in­for­ma­tion avail­able. If you think some­thing is wrong you should make an ap­point­ment to see the so­lic­i­tor about your con­cerns.

Call SAS Daniels LLP Solic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF, or email legalline@ bt­con­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.