FOOD POISONING OUTBREAK
THERE was some incredible weather in Macclesfield during June of 1890.
Maxonians reckon it’s always sunny at Barnaby and they certainly weren’t wrong on that occasion.
The weather had been little short of tropical and during the first week of the Barnaby holidays the heat was intense. The slightest clothing seemed a burden and pedestrians eagerly sought the shady side of the street.
The Macclesfield Courier reported temperatures of 900F in the shade and as much as 1180F in the sun. But with the hot weather came disease.
Food quickly turned in that heat and the majority of people had no refrigeration so food poisoning became an epidemic.
Diphtheria, thought to have bade the town goodbye, also threatened a revival. Four cases were reported at a house at the rear of the Bate Hall in Chestergate and the mother and Mr Etchells, the Medical Officer of Health, took three children to the Corporation isolation hospital.
However, the newspaper also reported ‘lovely’ hedges covered with dog or wild roses, honeysuckle and other sweet smelling flowers. But the fruit was ripening too fast on the trees.