Macc cut down


Danny Wright

MAC­CLES­FIELD Town’s poor run of form con­tin­ued af­ter they suf­fered their third straight de­feat in the Na­tional League against league lead­ers For­est Green.

Char­lie Clough scored deep into added time to con­demn the Silk­men to a loss at the New Lawn Sta­dium.

Jack Samp­son cap­i­talised on an er­ror from Ki­ef­fer Moore to put the Silk­men ahead be­fore James Jen­nings scored against his for­mer club eight min­utes later.

The Silk­men per­formed ad­mirably through­out the 90 min­utes and would have been well worth a point, but hearts were bro­ken in the third minute of added time when Clough net­ted the win­ner.

De­feat sees Macc drop to eight in the Na­tional League, three points off the play-off places. Mean­while For­est Green stay top of the ta­ble, one point ahead of ti­tle ri­vals Chel­tenham.

“We had a great op­por­tu­nity there to get three points against top of the league,” said boss John Askey.

“You talk about tak­ing pos­i­tives but you can’t keep con­ced­ing in that man­ner so we’ve got to keep work­ing, stick to­gether and hope­fully it will even­tu­ally turn around.”

The hosts stated their in­ten­tions early on when they went close in the se­cond minute of the game. A cross from Keanu MarshBrown was met by Moore, but there was too much pace on the ball and he could only head over the tar­get.

Mac­cles­field’s first chance came in the 17th minute. Samp­son could have got on the score­sheet early as he had a headed ef­fort just sail wide of Steve Arnold’s goal.

Paul Lewis was an early in­jury con­cern for Mac­cles­field as he went down off the ball in the 23rd minute, with the mid­fielder sub­se­quently re­placed by club cap­tain Paul Turn­bull.

Mo­ments later Mac­cles­field had an­other chance to break the dead­lock. Danny White­head had a hope­ful shot from out­side the penalty area which was spilt by Arnold, but the Rovers’ de­fend­ers were on hand to spare the keeper’s blushes and cleared the ball.

On the stroke of half­time Samp­son had a se­cond header go just wide of the goal.

The striker ap­peared to get ahead of David Fitz­patrick’s cross and couldn’t steer his header to­wards the tar­get af­ter los­ing his marker.

White­head pulled up clutch­ing his ham­string in the 54th minute, the se­cond in­jury of the game forc­ing John Askey into a change of sys­tem.

The re­cently re-signed Reece Sty­che came on in place of the Wi­gan loa­nee to play against his for­mer club, forc­ing Samp­son to switch to the left wing as Sty­che be­came the new spear­head in the Macc at­tack.

The sub­sti­tute made an im­me­di­ate im­pact as the Silk­men opened the scor­ing in the 69th minute af­ter a mis­take from Moore. Sty­che played a seem­ingly harm­less through-ball which was picked up by the For­est Green cen­tre-back.

His at­tempted

‘You talk about tak­ing pos­i­tives but you can’t keep con­ced­ing in that man­ner’

pass back to keeper Arnold was pounced on by Samp­son, who calmly slot­ted the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner from a tight an­gle.

For­est Green re­sponded, bring­ing on for­mer West Bromwich


●● Ac­tion from Mac­cles­field’s game at For­est Green


●● Jack Samp­son wheels away af­ter open­ing the scor­ing


●● Ge­orge Pilk­ing­ton looks to make a nui­sance of him­self at a Macc set-piece

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.