Macclesfield Express - - SPORT -

son should con­tact her to see whether she agrees to the prop­erty be­ing sold in ac­cor­dance with the court or­der. Al­ter­na­tively she and her new part­ner could pur­chase his in­ter­est in the prop­erty. I strongly rec­om­mend that your son con­sults a so­lic­i­tor about this.


I AM think­ing of putting a 22ft sun lounge on the rear of my bun­ga­low. Will this af­fect my lease (for which I pay £12 per an­num) and will I need plan­ning per­mis­sion? AS far as your lease is con­cerned you may well find that the free­holder’s con­sent is re­quired be­fore you make any sub­stan­tial al­ter­ations to your prop­erty. Don’t pro­ceed with­out it! Con­sent can­not be with­held un­rea­son­ably, but you will prob­a­bly be re­spon­si­ble for pay­ing for any le­gal work or fees in­curred by the free­holder. It’s un­likely that your sun lounge will re­quire plan­ning per­mis­sion, es­pe­cially since the per­mit­ted size of rear ex­ten­sions has re­cently dou­bled. But there are a num­ber of stip­u­la­tions, in­clud­ing not cov­er­ing more than 50 per cent of your gar­den with out­build­ings, so it would be as well to sub­mit draw­ings to the plan­ning depart­ment to have this con­firmed.


MY father-in-law hasn’t made a will. His wife and daugh­ter have both died, and I won­dered if, as his son-in-law, I am en­ti­tled to in­herit any­thing from him, as­sum­ing he doesn’t out­live us all. AS long as he hasn’t made a will the rules of in­tes­tacy will ap­ply to any money or prop­erty owned by your father-in-law, as you’re prob­a­bly aware. The law pro­vides only for blood rel­a­tives, and not for those re­lated by mar­riage, so you won’t re­ceive your late wife’s share un­less he makes a will to that ef­fect. As­sum­ing your wife was an only child, the legacy she would have re­ceived from her father will now go to her chil­dren if she had any, but if not, to his par­ents, or his brothers and sis­ters or their chil­dren, in that or­der.


TWO years ago I had two dou­ble-glazed win­dows and a door fit­ted at the back of my house. They came with a ten-year guar­an­tee, but now I’m un­able to shut the back door be­cause the unit seems to swell up in wet weather. The firm has changed its name, but the same man is still run­ning it: can I force him to fix the door? IF the busi­ness­man is a sole trader who has just changed his trad­ing name you may be able to sue him. But if he was trad­ing as a lim­ited com­pany that has now gone bust you will not be able to sue the new com­pany. It’s pos­si­ble the guar­an­tee was un­der­writ­ten by in­sur­ance, or con­tact the man­u­fac­tur­ers of the units: they may have been the ones to of­fer the guar­an­tee in the first place.

Call SAS Daniels LLP Solic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF, or email

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.