Towel fire has pub feel­ing the heat

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE -

A PILE of hot tea tow­els from a tum­ble dryer caused a fire above a pub af­ter burst­ing into flames.

Pun­ters had to be evac­u­ated from the Puss in Boots pub, on Bux­ton Road, Mac­cles­field, on Fri­day night (Fe­bru­ary 12) af­ter the fire in the kitchen of a sep­a­rate flat up­stairs.

Fire­fight­ers from two Mac­cles­field crews at­tended at 10.24pm and brought the blaze un­der con­trol be­fore it spread from the kitchen.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice said the fire started in some tea tow­els which had been taken out of the tum­ble dryer.

Tea tow­els and other laun­dry can spon­ta­neously com­bust if left to smoul­der in piles af­ter com­ing out of the tum­ble dryer.

The fire spokesman said: “The fire started from the tea tow­els when they had come out of the tum­ble dryer and were in a pile on a work­bench.

“If there is grease re­main­ing on tea tow­els af­ter they have been washed and they are hot when they come out of the tum­ble dryer then the heat can build up and the tea tow­els can set on fire. It’s like what can hap­pen with piles of leaves on a hot day.

“We urge peo­ple to air their tea tow­els out to cool them as a pre­cau­tion.” The pub is open as nor­mal.

Google Street View

●● The blaze hap­pened up­stairs at the Puss in Boots pub on Bux­ton Road

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.