An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - SPORT - WILL POW­ERS

Daniels LLP Solic­i­tors I’M wor­ried that my step-chil­dren will try to con­test my will when I die. I paid for the house my hus­band and I lived in un­til his death, and in his will he left his es­tate to me and our son. His own chil­dren re­ceived a con­sid­er­able sum of money when my hus­band sold his own house, and I want to make sure my child re­ceives his right­ful in­her­i­tance. IF your step-chil­dren have left home and are not de­pen­dant on you in any way they will have no grounds to con­test your will. You can leave your money and prop­erty as you choose, al­though it may help to have a sworn state­ment kept with the will ex­plain­ing why you wish the es­tate to be di­vided in this man­ner. A so­lic­i­tor will be able to help you do this.


AT the back of my cot­tage there’s a right of way to two other houses. I’ve just re­placed the gate that’s been at the end of the drive for the last ten years, but one of my neigh­bours says there shouldn’t be a gate on a right of way, can you ad­vise? IN­STALLING the gate must not ‘in­ter­fere’ with the right of way that ex­ists. The new gate re­places an ex­ist­ing gate and pro­vided it does not ob­struct the ex­er­cise of the right of way (you may need to pro­vide keys to the neigh­bours if the gate locks) it is un­likely that this causes any in­ter­fer­ence, or grounds for your neigh­bour to ob­ject. How­ever it’s dif­fi­cult to give you a defini­tive an­swer on ques­tions of rights of way with­out see­ing all the rel­e­vant doc­u­ments, so you should check your ti­tle deeds or ask your so­lic­i­tor to do so. It could well be that you own the land and can do with it as you please as long as your neigh­bours can still reach their homes. MY hus­band and I have been liv­ing apart for three years. I’d like a di­vorce, but since there are no fi­nan­cial mat­ters or chil­dren to con­sider I’d like to know the eas­i­est and cheap­est way of go­ing about it. Is there such a thing as a DIY di­vorce? THERE’S noth­ing to stop you com­plet­ing the rel­e­vant forms if you wish. You should how­ever be care­ful to en­sure that your hus­band will not be able to make a claim against your fi­nances at a fu­ture date. You can ob­tain the pa­per­work you need ei­ther on­line or from the County Court of­fice and down­load or pick up a leaflet set­ting out the pro­ce­dures re­quired. There’s a court fee of £410 to start di­vorce pro­ceed­ings al­though you may be ex­empt from pay­ing the court fee if you have a low in­come. You should con­sult a so­lic­i­tor to en­sure that a clean break is achieved to pro­tect your fi­nan­cial po­si­tion mov­ing for­ward. FIVE years ago I had a front door and a four­pane pa­tio door in­stalled by a lo­cal dou­ble glaz­ing firm. They came with a 10-year guar­an­tee against faulty ma­te­ri­als and work­man­ship. Now I am hav­ing trou­ble with the front door locks and one of the pa­tio door pan­els is com­ing loose. I have con­tacted the com­pany seven times by phone but they keep say­ing ‘next week’. YOU will have to write to them, or bet­ter still, get a so­lic­i­tor to send the firm a let­ter show­ing you mean busi­ness. Sug­gest that un­less they take ac­tion to make good the de­fects within 14 days you will get some­one else in to do the work and sue them through the courts. With luck they’ll re­alise that fix­ing your doors will in­volve less trou­ble for them in the long run.

Call SAS Daniels LLP Solic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100.


If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF or email

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.