AFC brave con­di­tions to col­lect points

Macclesfield Express - - TVWEEK -

AFC Mac­cles­field re­turned to ac­tion last Satur­day af­ter two weeks off due to post­pone­ments and with only seven league games re­main­ing, they’ve reached the busi­ness end of the sea­son.

They made the short jour­ney to War­ring­ton to face Moore United where con­di­tions were poor with strong winds and rain.

With barely a minute on the clock, the home team had their first chance of the game. A long ball from the back was mis­judged by the Mac­cles­field back line and the Moore front man col­lected the ball to go one on one with Mac­cles­field keeper Dom Chell. Chell was equal to it and turned the ball around the post for a cor­ner. The re­sult­ing cor­ner was cleared and Mac­cles­field were let off the hook.

Mac­cles­field’s first chance of the game fell to Matt Hor­ton. With su­perb link up play, he found him­self free in a crowded penalty area and got his shot away but the keeper made the save. The ball fell to Hor­ton again but once again, the keeper saved.

Mac­cles­field started to dom­i­nate the game. Mid­field­ers Sam Wil­liamson and Jonny Ca­vanagh were dic­tat­ing the play and with forty min­utes on the clock, Ca­vanagh played a su­perb through ball to skip­per Greg Mathers who let fly from the edge of the box and found the bot­tom cor­ner of the Moore net, leav­ing the keeper no chance.

Af­ter the break, Mac­cles­field pushed for the sec­ond but with the con­di­tions wors­en­ing, it be­came dif­fi­cult for both teams to play football.

On the hour mark, Mac­cles­field got their much needed sec­ond goal.

Jack Banis­ter beat the off­side trap to go one on one with the on rush­ing Moore keeper, Banis­ter del­i­cately chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Man­ager Ed Haslam fresh­ened up the team and gave Chris Smith his de­but, to give the team more op­tions on the right side. El­liot Bruce came on to shore up the mid­field.

Af­ter less than five min­utes on the pitch, Smith gath­ered the ball and raced past the Moore de­fence. With only the keeper to beat, Smith rounded the keeper but was was stopped in his tracks when the keeper brought him down.

The ref­eree deemed it to be on the edge of the box and no penalty. The re­sult­ing free kick came to noth­ing.

Nathan Jack­son came on to re­place tired legs and straight away, cre­ated a chance for Mac­cles­field, but un­for­tu­nately, it came to noth­ing. Jack­son was again in­volved in the play, out jump­ing his marker to nick the ball away from the Moore striker who looked cer­tain to score.

Sam Wil­liamson was awarded Man of the Match, con­trol­ling the mid­field and dic­tat­ing the pace of the game.

AFC Mac­cles­field re­main top of the league, six points ahead and two games in hand over their near­est ri­vals.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.