Bar­be­cue gar­den fire

Macclesfield Express - - BEFORE THE BENCH -

EMER­GENCY ser­vices had to be called af­ter a fire broke out at a gas bar­be­cue.

The in­ci­dent hap­pened at a house on Chep­stow Close, Tyther­ing­ton, at around 5.40pm on Satur­day when the gas cylin­der used to fuel the bar­be­cue caught fire.

Two fire crews from Mac­cles­field and Of­fer­ton at­tended and used a hose reel jet to put out the flames.

Nick Brooks, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Ser­vice’s head of pre­ven­tion, said: “By far the big­gest dan­ger of bar­be­cues is the use of flammable liq­uids to light them. We have had a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions where peo­ple have poured petrol onto the char­coal to get them go­ing and the re­ac­tion has, not sur­pris­ingly, been vi­o­lent and highly dan­ger­ous.”

He added that to avoid in­juries or dam­age to prop­erty, peo­ple should en­sure bar­be­cues were in good work­ing or­der, on a flat site, far away from any sheds, trees or shrubs.

Chil­dren, pets and gar­den games should be kept well away from the area and the bar­be­cue should never be left unat­tended.

A bucket of wa­ter or sand should also be kept nearby and the bar­be­cue should be cool be­fore at­tempt­ing to move it.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.