In

Brief

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE -

FIRE WARN­ING

FIRE chiefs have is­sued a warn­ing about kitchen safety af­ter a fire at a house.

Crews from Poyn­ton were called to re­ports of a blaze at a prop­erty on Sut­ton Road, Poyn­ton, on May 17 at 4.15pm.

They found a kitchen on fire in the first floor of the de­tached house.

Paramedics also at­tended, but it not known if any­one suf­fered any in­juries.

Cheshire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice say more than half of ac­ci­den­tal fires at home are started by cook­ing - of­ten when cook­ers and grills are left unat­tended.

Fire chiefs have is­sued the fol­low­ing cook­ing safety tips in a bid to pre­vent sim­i­lar in­ci­dents:

Make sure saucepan han­dles don’t stick out.

Take care if you’re wear­ing loose cloth­ing - they can eas­ily catch fire.

Keep tea tow­els and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Dou­ble check the cooker is off when you’ve fin­ished cook­ing.

Avoid leav­ing chil­dren in the kitchen alone.

Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cook­ing, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good work­ing order. A build up of fat and grease can ig­nite a fire. Don’t tackle the fire your­self - Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.

KITCHEN BLAZE

A CHOP­PING board left on a hob caused a kitchen fire at the week­end. Two fire crews from Mac­cles­field at­tended the in­ci­dent on Tyther­ing­ton Drive at 10.29 on Satur­day. They found that a chop­ping board left on the hob was the cause of the fire. The oc­cu­pier left the prop­erty, clos­ing all the doors which stopped the fire spread­ing and called fire­fight­ers. The crews, two wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus, used a hose reel jet to put out the fire.

A high-pres­sure fan cleared smoke from the kitchen.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.