Mum and part­ner mur­dered Liam, 2

Macclesfield Express - - TODDLER MURDER VERDICT -

AMOTHER has been con­victed of mur­der­ing her two-year-old son.

Rachel Trelfa, 31, for­merly of Mac­cles­field, was found guilty of mur­der­ing tod­dler Liam Fee along with her civil part­ner Ny­omi Fee, 29.

They were con­victed af­ter a seven-week trial at the High Court in Liv­ingston, Scot­land.

Liam was found dead at the cou­ple’s home in Fife, Scot­land, on March 22, 2014, hav­ing suf­fered a rup­tured heart as a re­sult of se­vere blunt force trauma to his body.

Liam had also suf­fered more than 30 ex­ter­nal in­juries, in­clud­ing a bro­ken leg and arm.

The court heard that de­spite sus­pect­ing her son had a bro­ken leg for sev­eral days, Trelfa went to look af­ter her horse for three hours on the day he died.

Trelfa ad­mit­ted it was a pos­si­bil­ity that Liam would be alive if she had taken him to hospi­tal for treat­ment, mur­der.

She told the court: “I know I should have got Liam help. It’s a de­ci­sion I’ll re­gret for the rest of my life.”

The court also heard that the pair used their mo­bile phones to carry out in­ter­net searches on sub­jects such as ‘how do you die of a bro­ken hip?’ and ‘how long can you live with a bro­ken bone?’ three days be­fore Liam was found dead.

A mes­sage from Fee’s phone to Trelfa’s mo­bile stated: “Kids should be drowned at birth to save prob­lems, lol.”

The women were also found guilty of a cat­a­logue of abuse against two other young boys, in­clud­ing one they falsely blamed for Liam’s death. but de­nied

Trelfa’s mother also told the court not spo­ken to her daugh­ter in four years.

Gail Trelfa, 55, from Mac­cles­field, broke down as she took the stand at the High Court in Liv­ingston.

She said she had not spo­ken to her daugh­ter since Easter 2012.

She said she had loved Liam ‘very dearly’, and added: “I’ve lost my daugh­ter and I’ve lost my grand­child. “Thank-you Ny­omi.” Mrs Trelfa said she had pre­vi­ously been ‘very close’ with her daugh­ter, who she said had been a ‘very good mother’.

Se­nior in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cer De­tec­tive In­spec­tor Rory Hamil­ton said there had been a ‘sig­nif­i­cant change’ in Liam’s treat­ment af­ter Trelfa left his fa­ther and their home in the north of Eng­land in De­cem­ber 2011 to move to Scot­land with Fee.

Mr Hamil­ton said a pic­ture emerged of a ‘very, very close’ cou­ple, for whom Liam had be­come ‘some­what of an in­con­ve­nience’.

He said: “The tragic death of Liam has been the cul­mi­na­tion of a con­sis­tent course of con­duct by both Rachel and Ny­omi over a pe­riod of months, if not years.

“The in­juries that have been ex­plained and un­cov­ered, the level of abuse that we had, was hor­rific.”

A sig­nif­i­cant case re­view is now be­ing car­ried out by So­cial Ser­vices.

●● Liam Fee was found dead at his home

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.