An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - SPORT - UN­MAR­RIED SPLIT

Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors AF­TER my di­vorce in 1991 my new part­ner and I bought what had been my mar­i­tal home, with her rais­ing a mort­gage to buy out my ex-wife and pay off the out­stand­ing mort­gage. Then I bought an­other prop­erty in my name which I let out. My part­ner has left af­ter 24 years. What will she be en­ti­tled to? I don’t want to leave the house I’ve lived in for 40 years. IF you weren’t mar­ried your part­ner will only be en­ti­tled to a share in your jointly-owned prop­erty. This is likely to be 50/50 un­less you di­vided the shares differently on the ti­tle deeds when you be­came joint own­ers. You need to have the prop­erty val­ued in­de­pen­dently so that you can buy out your part­ner’s share if she is will­ing. Be­cause you weren’t mar­ried she will have no claim on the rental prop­erty, or to any main­te­nance from you. THE pre­vi­ous owner of our prop­erty built a garage on the side of the house. So for the last 27 years we have used next door’s drive to get around the garage to reach our back door. Have we now ac­quired a right to do so? The new owner next door has put a fence down the side of the garage leav­ing a gap so nar­row we can’t get our bins through. YOU may well have ac­quired a right over a pe­riod of time to use part of your neigh­bour’s drive for ac­cess to the back of your prop­erty. That be­ing the case it would be rea­son­able to ex­pect your neigh­bour to leave more room for you to get through. Ask a so­lic­i­tor to check your ti­tle deeds to see ex­actly what the po­si­tion is. If it is not ex­pressly con­tained within the ti­tle deeds, you may be able to ar­gue that you have ac­quired that right be­cause of the length of time you have been us­ing this ac­cess. If you can reach a com­pro­mise with your neigh­bour, so much the bet­ter, and try to get it recorded at the Land Reg­istry as part of that agree­ment. MY hus­band and I have made wills leav­ing ev­ery­thing to each other and then on to our three chil­dren. Our prop­erty is worth about £150,000. How much will the so­lic­i­tor who drew up the wills charge on our deaths? YOUR so­lic­i­tor will only make a charge if you have left him the job of ad­min­is­ter­ing your es­tate when you die, ie have named him an ex­ecu­tor of the will, or if he is


FOR over a year we’ve had to put up with the con­stant bark­ing of our neigh­bour’s two dogs, of­ten late at night and in the early hours of the morn­ing. At least six house­holds are af­fected, but de­spite nu­mer­ous com­plaints the coun­cil seem un­will­ing or un­able to take any last­ing ac­tion. YOU don’t say what mea­sures the coun­cil have taken to date. The coun­cil has a team deal­ing with such com­plaints. Nor­mally the peo­ple af­fected are asked to keep di­aries of the times the nui­sance oc­curs, and if nec­es­sary elec­tronic mon­i­tor­ing would be in­stalled. If the coun­cil of­fi­cer finds ev­i­dence to sup­port your com­plaints your neigh­bour would be served with a writ­ten no­tice. Fail­ure to ob­serve the no­tice may lead to fines, with fur­ther fines if the nui­sance per­sisted. CALL SAS Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF, or email

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.