An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - SPORT - LEFT PENNILESS

Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors A FRIEND lost her hus­band re­cently and tells me she has no claim on her bun­ga­low, car or fur­ni­ture as her hus­band gave all his pos­ses­sions away, in­clud­ing most of his money, af­ter his son be­came in­volved in a re­li­gious sect. She now has to va­cate the bun­ga­low. What is her le­gal sit­u­a­tion? IF the hus­band gave away his pos­ses­sions in his will your friend can make a claim against the es­tate un­der the In­her­i­tance Act 1975. An ap­pli­ca­tion must in most cases be made within six months of pro­bate be­ing granted. Even if the hus­band gave away his prop­erty be­fore he died the wife could still make a claim, on the ba­sis that her hus­band dis­posed of prop­erty that didn’t wholly be­long to him. You should ad­vise her to see a so­lic­i­tor im­me­di­ately.


MY neigh­bour has put up a green­house in his back yard so that it al­most com­pletely cov­ers the out­side wall of my kitchen ex­ten­sion. Since I have to main­tain this wall it could present a prob­lem in the fu­ture. Is he al­lowed to do this? TECH­NI­CALLY your neigh­bour should have asked your per­mis­sion (un­der the Party Wall etc. Act 1996) be­fore fix­ing any­thing to your prop­erty. How­ever it’s very com­mon for neigh­bours to make use of the walls sur­round­ing their prop­erty in this way. You could point out to your neigh­bour that you may need to be able to get to the wall at some stage in the fu­ture. This as­sumes that the wall be­longs to you: you may have raised the height of a joint­ly­owned bound­ary wall to build your kitchen ex­ten­sion. In that case I LIVE in a bun­ga­low on a pri­vate es­tate, where the high­est fence you’re al­lowed is 7ft. How­ever my neigh­bour has grown a conifer hedge eigh­teen feet high, which over­hangs my gar­den. Un­for­tu­nately I’m 90 and can’t cut the hedge back my­self. Can I get my neigh­bour to pay for some­one to come in and do the work? THE neigh­bour should prob­a­bly re­duce the height of the hedge as well as the over­hang. You should get hold of a book­let from the plan­ning depart­ment called ‘Hedge Height and Light Loss’ which ex­plains the rec­om­mended heights of hedges ac­cord­ing to their ef­fect on light reach­ing neigh­bour­ing gar­dens and houses. The sim­plest solution would be for your neigh­bour to re­duce the hedge height to two me­tres, but if he re­fuses to take ac­tion you can ask the coun­cil to in­ter­vene.


WE moved to a new house last year but I still owe about £250 in coun­cil tax from our pre­vi­ous ad­dress. We are now be­ing taken to court and they’re threat­en­ing to send in the bailiffs. How­ever our new prop­erty is in my wife’s name: can the bailiffs en­ter a house that be­longs to some­one other than the debtor? IF your wife lived with you at your pre­vi­ous ad­dress she will be jointly li­able for pay­ment of the ar­rears. The bailiffs can en­ter any ad­dress where you are living in or­der to seize your prop­erty. Don’t wait for mat­ters to reach that stage: you may be able to ne­go­ti­ate with the coun­cil to pay by in­stal­ments. But if you refuse to pay then the court could even send you to prison as a last re­sort.

Call SAS Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF, or email

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.