Silk­men up­set

Macclesfield Express - - TRAVEL - SHELDAN KEAY

EMI­RATES FA CUP FIRST ROUND WAL­SALL .......................... 0 MACCLESFIELD .............. 1

MACCLESFIELD Town pro­duced a stun­ning up­set to de­feat League One side Wal­sall at the Banks’ Sta­dium and move into the sec­ond round of the FA Cup.

John McCombe’s firsthalf header was enough to earn the Silk­men the vic­tory against a side two di­vi­sions above them.

Macc were the only non-league side to beat an EFL team over the weekend, with John Askey’s side now set to take on Ox­ford United at the Moss Rose in the next round.

Wal­sall went close in the open­ing stages of the match when right-back Joe Ed­wards threat­ened on two oc­ca­sions.

First he saw a long range ef­fort go well wide of the goal, be­fore then forc­ing a save out of Macclesfield goal­keeper Craig Ross a few min­utes later.

The Silk­men were just as dan­ger­ous at the other end, and they al­most made the break­through when Jack Samp­son got on the end of a pass from Andy Halls, but he couldn’t get a shot on tar­get.

Macc con­tin­ued to push for­ward though and their hard work was re­warded when they man­aged to open the scor­ing af­ter 23 min­utes.

Paul Lewis was fouled out­side the box, al­low­ing Danny Whi­taker to fire a free-kick to­wards the near post, where McCombe was on hand to head in and make it 1-0.

That goal ap­peared to give Macclesfield a boost and they nearly dou­bled their lead when Danny Rowe’s pow­er­ful ef­fort was su­perbly kept out by Etheridge.

David Fitz­patrick was the next Macc player to have an at­tempt on goal, but once again Etheridge man­aged to make the save and keep the score­line the same.

Askey’s men had to be alert at the other end, as Ross punched away Erhun Oz­tumer’s strike on 38 min­utes.

Scott Laird then smashed a shot wide for Wal­sall just be­fore the in­ter­val as Macclesfield car­ried their lead into the sec­ond half.

Macc made a change dur­ing the in­ter­val, with Mitch Han­cox com­ing off the bench to re­place Neill Byrne.

It was al­most a per­fect start to the sec­ond half for the vis­i­tors as Samp­son cap­i­talised on a mis­take from Etheridge, but his shot hit the post.

Wal­sall al­most got back on level terms just be­fore the hour mark, but Simeon Jack­son and Ja­son McCarthy were both de­nied by Ross to keep his side in front.

Macclesfield nearly dou­bled their lead when Paul Lewis fired a lon­grange ef­fort wide, while Oz­tumer also hit a shot off tar­get at the other end.

Ross then kept out a shot from Laird, be­fore sub­sti­tute Amadou Bakayoko saw his ef­fort from dis­tance drift wide of the post.

The Silk­men had chances to put the match beyond doubt in the clos­ing stages, as Whi­taker’s right-footed shot was nar­rowly off tar­get.

Kings­ley James then al­most scored a spec­u­la­tive ef­fort for the away side in stop­page time, but it wasn’t to be.

It didn’t mat­ter in the end, as Macclesfield man­aged to hold on to pick up the su­perb vic­tory and earn them­selves a place in the sec­ond round of the FA Cup.


Ross, Halls, Fitz­patrick, Byrne (Han­cox 45’), Pilk­ing­ton, McCombe, Lewis, Samp­son, Rowe, James, Whi­taker. Subs not used: Brana­gan, Mack­reth, Hol­royd, Suther­land, Roberts, Made­ley.

Conor Mol­loy

Paul Lewis takes one on the knee dur­ing Macclesfield’s FA Cup first round win at Wal­sall

David Tol­l­i­day

Macclesfield play­ers ap­plaud the fans fol­low­ing the FA Cup first round win against Wal­sall


Macclesfield sup­port­ers cel­e­brate the FA Cup win against Wal­sall

Jack Samp­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.