Silk­men eye­ing


MAC­CLES­FIELD Town moved into the quar­ter-fi­nals of the FA Tro­phy af­ter pick­ing up a big win against For­est Green Rovers.

Danny White­head’s de­flected ef­fort was the only goal of the game to earn the Silk­men the win at the Moss Rose against one of the favourites for Na­tional League pro­mo­tion.

They now move into the last eight of the com­pe­ti­tion, where they will take on ei­ther Brain­tree or Dul­wich Ham­let, and those two teams were set to meet as the Ex­press went to print on Tues­day.

John Askey named an un­changed team for the game against For­est Green, but it was the visi­tors who were live­lier in the open­ing stages.

They had a big chance in­side the open­ing 10 min­utes when Jake Gosling found space and saw a shot smash against the post, with Kings­ley James then on hand to clear the dan­ger.

For­est Green were con­trol­ling pos­ses­sion, but against the run of play Mac­cles­field struck when White­head found the net.

His curled shot took a de­flec­tion off a For­est Green de­fender and went into the back of the net to make it 1-0 to the Silk­men.

Mac­cles­field goal­keeper Scott Flin­ders had to be alert as For­est Green looked for an in­stant re­ply, punch­ing away a long-range at­tempt from Ethan Pin­nock, be­fore then mak­ing a su­perb fin­ger­tip save to deny Daniel Wishart.

Mitch Han­cox al­most dou­bled Macc’s lead on 36 min­utes af­ter get­ting on the end of a pass from Danny Whi­taker, but his pow­er­ful shot was punched away by Sam Russell.

The re­bound fell to White­head, but he shot against the post from close range when he should have done bet­ter

Mac­cles­field’s lead re­mained in­tact as the sec­ond half got un­der­way, with the home side then turn­ing to their sub­sti­tute’s bench as White­head was re­placed by Rhys Browne.

The Silk­men de­fence was hold­ing firm to deny their op­po­nents, re­strict­ing For­est Green to lon­grange ef­forts.

One of those came from cen­tre back Mark El­lis, who had a 40-yard at­tempt go well wide of the goal.

Askey was then forced into an­other change when An­thony Dudley suf­fered an in­jury, with Richie Wel­lens com­ing on in his place.

It was an­other sub­sti­tute that nearly con­trib­uted when For­est Green brought on Keanu MarshBrown, as he was su­perbly de­nied by Flin­ders, who was prov­ing to be the dif­fer­ence for Macc.

The away side con­tin­ued to pile on the pres­sure as they looked for an equaliser, but they were strug­gling to get their ef­forts on tar­get.

Liam No­ble sent a free kick wide on 70 min­utes, be­fore Wishart then did the same a cou­ple of mo­ments later.

Chris Hol­royd had the chance to wrap up the win for Mac­cles­field late on when he was through one on one, but Russell man­aged to deny him with his feet.

For­est Green threw plenty of bod­ies for­ward in the fi­nal mo­ments as they des­per­ately tried to get back on level terms, but it wasn’t to be as Mac­cles­field were able to hold on and pick up the 1-0 win.

“I couldn’t ask for any more off the play­ers.

“They worked hard and de­fended re­ally well against a very good team,” said Askey.

“We were limited to very lit­tle chances but we did have the bet­ter ones so it’s re­ally pleas­ing.”

Flin­ders, Halls, Byrne, Pilk­ing­ton, Fitzpatrick, Han­cox, White­head (Browne 58’), James, Whi­taker, Dudley ( Wel­lens 61’), Hol­royd. Subs Not Used: Ross, McCombe, Perel


David Tol­l­i­day

Kings­ley James races for­ward for Macc

David Tol­l­i­day

Danny White­head fires the win­ning goal

Conor Mol­loy

Macc keeper Scott Flin­ders com­mands his area un­der pres­sure from For­est Green’s at­tack

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.