Point keeps bid


MAC­CLES­FIELD Town kept their play-off chase alive with a tricky 1-1 draw to seasiders Torquay United in the Na­tional League.

Kings­ley James’ sixth goal of the sea­son put The Silk­men ahead be­fore they were pegged back through Sean McGinty’s goal fol­low­ing sloppy mark­ing at a sec­ond-half cor­ner.

The draw at Plain­moor ex­tends Mac­cles­field’s run of good form hav­ing now lost just once in eight games.

De­spite hav­ing nu­mer­ous chances, The Silk­men will be pleased with a draw as Torquay put in a great deal of fight to avoid drop­ping closer to the rel­e­ga­tion zone.

There were two changes to the side that beat For­est Green 1-0 in their FA Tro- phy games last Satur­day as Danny White­head and An­thony Dud­ley were re­placed by debu­tant Luke Sum­mer­field and club re­turnee loan sign­ing, Con­nor Jennings.

Torquay United had won only two of the last nine games com­ing in to the fix­ture, just four points off the rel­e­ga­tion zone but this was a well-earned, hard-fought draw with­out a doubt.

The first-half was ex­tremely tense as both sides at­tempted to gain a foothold.

It was the home side who had the first real chance of the game as Town goal­keeper Scott Flin­ders’ at­tempted clear­ance fell at the feet of Torquay’s Luke Young. His effort from close to the cen­tre cir­cle, how­ever, didn’t man­age to overly test Find­ers as he scur­ried back to col­lect.

A bizarre mo­ment was to fol­low as The Silk­men were awarded an in­di­rect free-kick inside the penalty area af­ter Torquay goal­keeper Bren­dan Moore was pe­nalised for tak­ing longer than six sec­onds to re­lease the ball as Con­nor Jennings lurked a lit­tle too close.

The re­sult­ing free-kick caused slight chaos in the box as Macc de­fender Mitchell Han­cox’s effort was par­ried away by the im­pres­sive Moore.

Danny Whi­taker al­most had the dream goal as a knee-height ball into the area was met with a back­heeled flick. The ball flashed past the post how­ever, crush­ing any hope of an in­cred­i­ble goal.

Mac­cles­field’s in­creas­ing pres­sure was re­warded as half-time was loom­ing. Whi­taker turned provider and as his cor­ner from the right was met by a scram­ble only for the ball to fall to Macc mid­fielder Kings­ley James who smashed home via a de­flec­tion among a crowd of bod­ies.

The sec­ond-half be­gan with the home side on the front foot as Town looked slack. And duly, the first real op­por­tu­nity of the half fell to Torquay as Luke

Conor Mol­loy

Danny Whi­taker pro­vided the as­sist for Kings­ley James’ goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.