Pegged back in


MAC­CLES­FIELD Town scraped a 2-2 draw with a Dul­wich Ham­let side who sit two leagues be­low them, in the FA Tro­phy quar­ter-fi­nal.

Two ex­cel­lent early goals from re­cent loan sign­ing Luke Sum­mer­field put Mac­cles­field in cruise con­trol- only for The Silk­men to be pegged back late on as Dul­wich forced a re­play.

A scrappy goal from a cor­ner from Quade Tay­lor and then a beau­ti­fully curled ef­fort by Ash­ley Carew with only three min­utes to spare put Dul­wich into the semi-fi­nal draw along­side Town, at least un­til Tues­day.

Mac­cles­field fielded a strong team mak­ing just one change to the side that beat Eastleigh 1-0 in the Na­tional League last Tues­day as Danny Whi­taker re­placed Con­nor Jen­nings up top.

The Silk­men started ex­tremely quickly against a side who had only lost four games since Oc­to­ber and sit ninth in the Ry­man Isth­mian League.

It took just nine min­utes for Luke Sum­mer­field to open the scor­ing with a 30-yard free-kick.

De­spite the bril­liant ef­fort from Sum­mer­field the wind-as­sisted goal that flew past the help­less Dul­wich keeper Pre­ston Ed­wards was some­what for­tu­itous.

It wasn’t much longer be­fore Macc looked to have al­ready sealed the tie with just 20 min­utes gone.

Sum­mer­field took full ad­van­tage of a poor clear­ance from goalkeeper Ed­wards to lob the ball into the net from 35-yards this time- two goals wor­thy of win­ning any quar­ter-fi­nal tie.

You’d have ex­pected The Silk­men to kick-on and kill the game off against the lower league side but the two goals seemed to spur Dul­wich Ham­let on and they were back in the game just five min­utes later.

A cor­ner from the left was floated in, tempt­ing Town goalkeeper Scott Flin­ders to come and punch the ball away.

How­ever, his weak ef­fort meant the ball dropped per­fectly for de­fender Quade Tay­lor to thump home his first goal for The Ham­let through a crowd of bod­ies.

Dul­wich grew into the game mas­sively and Macc were lucky to go into half­time still in front as Flin­ders atoned for his er­ror as he saved three Ham­let ef­forts be­fore the break.

Dul­wich came out fight­ing in the sec­ond half and dom­i­nated Town for large parts of it.

How­ever, Town for­ward Chris Hol­royd thought he’d grabbed a third against the run of play, only for the lines­man to raise his flag for off­side af­ter he de­flected Danny Whi­taker’s shot into the net.

Chances for the home side from Gavin Tom­lin and Matt Drage came and went as they hit the side net­ting and Scott Flin­ders’ post, re­spec­tively.

Un­for­tu­nately for Mac­cles­field, they just couldn’t hold on to the lead as Dul­wich’s pres­sure fi­nally paid off.

An un­nec­es­sar­ily rushed clear­ance from Macc fell at the feet of Ibra Seka­jja who slid the ball into the edge of the area.

A per­fectly weighted lay-off from Ersk­ine meant that Ash­ley Carew didn’t even have to break stride as he opened his body and curled a mag­nif­i­cent shot around Scott Flin­ders’ right­hand post.

Flin­ders had to make a bril­liant save as a 40-yard ef­fort al­most caught him off guard in in­jury-time. Luck­ily he got back just in time to save The Silk­men from em­bar­rass­ment.

As it stood, they had another crack at se­cur­ing a place in the semi-fi­nals on Tues­day evening at the Moss Rose as the Ex­press went to print.

Flin­ders; Evans (Halls, 51), Pilk­ing­ton, Byrne, Fitz­patrick; Han­cox; Browne, James, Sum­mer­field, Whi­taker; Hol­royd. Un­used Subs:McCombe, Ross, Nor­burn, Thorne



Conor Mol­loy

Rhys Browne takes on the chal­lenge

Conor Mol­loy

Chris Hol­royd’s ef­fort goes over the bar

Conor Mol­loy

Mac­cles­field play­ers cel­e­brate the first goal against Dul­wich Ham­let

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.