League closes in


MAC­CLES­FIELD Town’s league sea­son came to an end on Satur­day with the team held to a goal­less draw at home to Sut­ton United.

Nei­ther side could make the break­through dur­ing the 90 min­utes of the game at the Moss Rose, mean­ing they had to set­tle for a point apiece.

The Silk­men have now fin­ished the league cam­paign in ninth place af­ter the draw, hav­ing taken 68 points from their 46 games this sea­son.

Mac­cles­field man­ager John Askey be­lieves it has been a good sea­son for his team, but ad­mits the clash against Sut­ton wasn’t a great game to end with.

“It wasn’t a clas­sic. It was a clas­sic end of sea­son game in that there wasn’t a lot of ac­tion,” he said.

“It’s typ­i­cal of how the sea­son has gone in that the ref­eree was ab­so­lutely dire, but I’m pleased that we’ve had a good sea­son.

“We now fin­ish it off with a trip to Wem­b­ley so hope­fully every­body can en­joy it and we can get a win so that it gives the town a lift and the club a lift.”

The Silk­men started the game against Sut­ton quite brightly and went close dur­ing the open­ing stages when Luke Sum­mer­field’s free-kick went inches over the cross­bar.

Sut­ton threat­ened at the other end when Kieron Cado­gan tried his luck at close range, but he was de­nied by Macc goal­keeper Scott Flin­ders.

Cado­gan tried to get the bet­ter of Flin­ders one minute later when he at­tempted a scis­sor kick, but once again it was a com­fort­able save for the Silk­men stop­per.

It had been a fast-paced open­ing 10 min­utes, but the ac­tion slowed down from that point on­wards, with chances lim­ited.

Adam May hit a tame ef­fort to­wards goal for Sut­ton mid­way through the half, while Craig East­mond then fired wide just be­fore the in­ter­val.

It re­mained goal­less as the sec­ond half got un­der­way, with Sut­ton sub­sti­tute Jack Jebb al­most giv­ing the vis­i­tors the lead as he shot just past the far post.

Sut­ton had been the bet­ter side af­ter Mac­cles­field’s de­cent start to the game, and they tested Flin­ders once again when Craig Dun­das forced him into a save.

Mac­cles­field were still dan­ger­ous at the other end though, as James Thorne’s curl­ing ef­fort hit the cross­bar and bounced out of play.

That at­tempt gave Macc a boost and they soon be­gan to dic­tate play, con­trol­ling the ma­jor­ity of the ac­tion for the re­main­der of the half.

They strug­gled to cre­ate many clear-cut chances though, and Jebb tried to make them pay when his long-range vol­ley went just over the bar.

Chris Hol­royd al­most got a late win­ner for the hosts when he had an ef­fort in in­jury time, but the ball went well wide and in the end the teams had to set­tle for a point each.

The 0-0 draw brings the cur­tain down on Mac­cles­field’s league cam­paign, with the team now turn­ing their at­ten­tion to their FA

‘It’s typ­i­cal of how the sea­son’s gone that the ref­eree was ab­so­lutely dire’

Tro­phy fi­nal against York City at Wem­b­ley Sta­dium on Sun­day 21 May.


Flin­ders; Halls, Byrne, Pilk­ing­ton, Fitz­patrick; Thorne (Han­cox, 72’), White­head, Sum­mer­field (James, 45’), Nor­burn (Browne, 57’); Hol­royd, Dud­ley. Subs not used: Ross, McCombe.

David Tol­l­i­day

Rhys Browne is brought down against Sut­ton United

David Tol­l­i­day

Andy Halls de­liv­ers the ball

David Tol­l­i­day

Danny White­head and Adam May look to at­tack the Sut­ton United rear­guard

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.