Sec­ond blast drama at fac­tory

Manchester Evening News - - FRONT PAGE - By CHRIS SLATER and ALEXAN­DRA RUCKI

AN ur­gent en­quiry is un­der­way af­ter a food fac­tory was rocked by a sec­ond ex­plo­sion in a fort­night.

Those work­ing near the Cargill plant in Traf­ford Park re­ported hear­ing a ‘loud bang’ and nearby build­ings ‘shak­ing’ at around 1.30pm yes­ter­day.

Emer­gency ser­vices raced to the com­plex on Guin­ness Road, in­clud­ing four fire en­gines and sup­port units, along with paramedics and po­lice ve­hi­cles.

A cor­don was set up in­side the large gated com­plex which em­ploys around 300 peo­ple, as smoke and then steam used to fight the fire could be seen bil­low­ing from one of the units at the fac­tory for sev­eral hours.

Fire­fight­ers wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus could be seen scal­ing the unit as they car­ried out searches for any­one in­volved be­fore tack­ling the blaze. They re­mained at the scene well into the evening.

The com­pany later con­firmed ev­ery­one had been ac­counted for and that no one was in­jured.

They also con­firmed the in­ci­dent in­volved the same gluten dryer fa­cil­ity which was the source of an al­most iden­ti­cal in­ci­dent a fort­night ago.

On that oc­ca­sion, at around 3.30pm on Thurs­day, Novem­ber 2, five fire en­gines re­sponded af­ter an­other ‘mal­func­tion’ of the dryer which sent a ‘boom’ ring­ing out across the neigh­bour­ing in­dus­trial es­tate.

Com­pany bosses say they be­lieved the fa­cil­ity had been made safe and have de­scribed the sec­ond in­ci­dent as ‘ex­tremely dis­ap­point­ing,’ with an ur­gent in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the cause un­der­way.

In a state­ment they said: “Cargill con­firm that there was an­other mal­func­tion of our dryer at our Manch­ester fa­cil­ity caus­ing a loud bang. No one was in­jured.

“We take the safety of our peo­ple and op­er­a­tions very se­ri­ously and this is ex­tremely dis­ap­point­ing.

“A ded­i­cated team had worked tire­lessly to get this equip­ment back up and run­ning safely. The ex­act cause is not yet known but we will now do fur­ther in­ves­ti­ga­tions to un­der­stand this is­sue.

“We would like to thank the fire bri­gade for their swift re­sponse but want to re­as­sure the pub­lic that there is no safety con­cern.”

The fire ser­vice said: “At 1.17pm on Mon­day, four fire en­gines and sup­port ve­hi­cles were mo­bilised to a com­mer­cial prop­erty in Traf­ford Park Road af­ter re­ports of an ex­plo­sion.

“On ar­rival, fire­fight­ers found a fire on the fourth floor in­volv­ing a gluten dryer.

“The fire was con­trolled by an in-built steam sup­pres­sion sys­tem with fire­fight­ers wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus us­ing a ther­mal imag­ing cam­era to lo­cate and con­trol the fire from spread­ing.

“The Air Unit was also used at the in­ci­dent to view the fire from above.”


Fire crews scale the fac­tory af­ter the sec­ond blast at the Cargill plant at Traf­ford Park

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.