MY ROD FEELS BETTER
Ex-kop star facing five-year ban
DAVID SILVAsays he’s been made to feel like nothing more than a “supporting actor” by Spain coach Vicente del Bosque since last year’s World Cup.
The 25-year-old midfielder has won a half-century of caps for his country since debuting in 2006 but has struggled to claim a first-team berth since Spain’s opening game in South Africa against Switzerland last summer.
Del Bosque’s side lost that match 1-0 but while they went on to lift the trophy, Silva barely featured again after being subbed in the second half.
When asked how he sees himself in the national team now, the City playmaker said: “Like a supporting actor”.
He added: “I feel that I don’t have the confidence of the coach.
“When I was the only victim of the defeat against the Swiss, I thought that it could be to do with fitness, but afterwards the critics said my performances FORMER Liverpool striker Milan Jovanovic is facing a potential five-year ban – for aiming an imaginary MACHINE GUN at opposing fans.
The Serbia international (right), who joined Anderlecht this summer, made the gesture after scoring his side’s late equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Club Bruges three weeks ago.
Belgian police launched an enquiry, and the country’s interior ministry has now said the 30-year-old could be banned from have always been good, but that isn’t enough for the coach to trust in me.
“Before that game I felt confident. I played regularly and I had a place in the team, but after that defeat everything started to change.
“Over time I’ve thought that I was the victim of that bad start we had in the World Cup.”
Silva is well aware that competition is tough for a place in the Spain midfield.
He added: “My team-mates are very good and it’s not up to me to decide if I have to be part of the starting XI.
“The only thing I say is that whilst Luis Aragones had confidence in me, Del Bosque thinks differently.”
Looking ahead to the Euro 2012 finals, Silva added: “The decision of who goes or not will be the coach’s.
“I’ll work hard to maintain the level I’m at now, but I still doubt I’ll have a leading role in the European Championships.” WIGAN boss Roberto Martinez has revealed the knee injury suffered by Hugo Rodallega (left) is not as serious as first feared.
The striker was hurt in the closing moments of Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Everton, being carried off after a challenge by Denis Stracqualursi.
There had been fears that Rodallega had suffered serious knee ligament damage and would be out for up to three months.
But, while Martinez cannot give a timescale for the Colombian’s return, he says it won’t take as long as Latics had initially thought.
He said: “The scans came back really positive. It doesn’t seem there are any big concerns in terms of the structure of the knee.
“We won’t know how long exactly he’s going to be out but what’s clear is that the injury is not as bad as we first thought.
“It’s fantastic news and now we are going to make sure that Hugo recovers well and gets back on the football pitch as quickly as possible.” all stadiums until 2016. Spokesman Jo Vanhecke said: “We’ll treat Jovanovic no differently from any other cases.
“He risks a punishment under article 23 of the football laws for incitement to hatred and anger.
“As a footballer he should be setting an example to others. We live in a country with laws, and everybody is entitled to protection.”
COLLISION COURSE: Price and (below inset) Tyson
Fury OUT OF FAVOUR: Spain
star David Silva