I spent a lot of time in a Spanish prison – I’m definitely a changed man now
HARRISON SET FOR COMEBACK AFTER GETTING LICENCE BACK
SCOTT HARRISON is being lined up to make his to make his ring return in Glasgow on March 10.
The former WBO featherweight champion hasn’t boxed for six years due to booze and legal problems.
His career looked finished when he was jailed in 2009 for assault.
But he believes two-and-a-half years spent languishing in a Spanish nick has reformed him.
Harrison, 34, finally had his fighters’ licence returned by the British Boxing Board of Control last week and he will continue boxing for promoter Frank Warren.
The former two-time world champ, who is now sober, said: “I’ve made some serious mistakes and spent a lot of time in a Spanish prison.
“That would change anyone and I’m definitely a changed man now.
“I’ve paid for my mistakes and I’d like to apologise to everybody who has been hurt by my actions.
“I just want to get on with my boxing and provide for my family.
“I’m fit and the focus I have is better than ever. I believe I can be world champion for a third time.”
Harrison plans to meet Warren in the New Year to discuss his long-term future, but it will be hard for the Scot to achieve his former glory.
He last boxed in November 2006, outpointing Nedal Hussein in a world title defence. His lifestyle and time behind bars will not have helped.
Harrison, who has lost just two of his 29 fights, will be trained by his dad, Peter, who remains full of hope.
Harrison Sr said: “When you think of the best boxers out there, the names of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr come to mind.
“But Manny is 32 and Floyd is 34, the same age as Scott. Bernard Hopkins is 46 and isn’t doing too badly, having become WBC lightheavyweight champion in May.
“Age means nothing if you’ve kept your body in shape.
“But we don’t want to look too far into the future. We’re just thrilled with what has happened with the licence.”
READY FOR ACTION: