Duke leaves hospital four days after heart scare
PRINCE Philip left hospital yesterday four nights after having lifesaving surgery on his ticker.
The Duke of Edinburgh smiled and waved to reporters as he left.
He rejoined the Royal Family at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk to play party games and shoot stuff.
The 90-year-old had been in Papworth Hospital since Friday after being admitted following chest pains.
Prince Philip missed the royal Christmas celebrations as well as the traditional Boxing Day slaughter of pheasants.
He sat upright and smiled broadly as he left hospital. In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “On departure, Prince Philip thanked the staff at Papworth for the ex- cellent care he has received during his stay.
“He is very much looking forward to rejoining his family.”
Buck House also said no decision had been taken on how soon the Duke would resume public engagements or whether he would attend Sunday’s service at St Mary Magdalene church.
The prince is said to have been advised by doctors to rest, though his next formal engagement is not until January 17 when he is due to attend a dinner at the Scott Polar Research Institute at the University Cambridge.
This year the Duke was under doctor’s orders not to leave his bed while he was kept under observation.
On his arrival at Papworth doctors found a blocked artery and went ahead with a “minimally invasive
of procedure of coronary stenting”, which was declared a success.
Stenting involves inserting a tube called a stent into an artery, to improve blood flow.
It was the most serious health scare suffered by the normally spry Duke.
He usually accompanies the 85-year-old monarch and in the autumn he travelled to Australia on an 11-day official visit to Perth, Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane.
Scores of police officers combed the grounds of the hospital in the early hours of this morning in preparation for the Duke’s departure in a Range Rover.
HAIL AND HEARTY: Smiling Duke waves to