Boy, 9, dies in fire hor­ror

Midweek Sport - - SPORT -

A MOTHER has been left “in­con­solable” over the death of her nine-year-old son af­ter a fire at their home early yes­ter­day.

Sheree Mcgill, 34, her­self es­caped, then tried to get into the house to res­cue Evan and her other chil­dren but was held back by neigh­bours.

Her two younger daugh­ters Yas­min, four, and Nya, three, were res­cued by fire­fight­ers and taken to hos­pi­tal where they are said to be in a sta­ble con­di­tion.

Fire crews were called to the ter­raced prop­erty in Al­ton­hill Av­enue, Kil­marnock, Ayr­shire, at around 3.20am.

They res­cued the three chil­dren on the up­per floor af­ter fight­ing through “in­tense heat and thick acrid smoke” to reach them. The boy, named by fam­ily mem­bers as Evan Mo­hammed, later died in hos­pi­tal.

Ms Mcgill’s sis­ter, Lyn­d­say Mcgill, 31, said the fam­ily was in “ut­ter shock”.

She added: “My sis­ter is in­con­solable. We think the fire started in Evan’s room. We think it was an elec­tri­cal fault.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.