Boy, 9, dies in fire horror
A MOTHER has been left “inconsolable” over the death of her nine-year-old son after a fire at their home early yesterday.
Sheree Mcgill, 34, herself escaped, then tried to get into the house to rescue Evan and her other children but was held back by neighbours.
Her two younger daughters Yasmin, four, and Nya, three, were rescued by firefighters and taken to hospital where they are said to be in a stable condition.
Fire crews were called to the terraced property in Altonhill Avenue, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, at around 3.20am.
They rescued the three children on the upper floor after fighting through “intense heat and thick acrid smoke” to reach them. The boy, named by family members as Evan Mohammed, later died in hospital.
Ms Mcgill’s sister, Lyndsay Mcgill, 31, said the family was in “utter shock”.
She added: “My sister is inconsolable. We think the fire started in Evan’s room. We think it was an electrical fault.”