Botch-job gas fitter weeps as he’s caged
A GAS fitter wept as he was jailed for the manslaughter of a millionaire’s daughter who died of poisoning following his botched installation.
Andrew Hartley, 37, fitted a new boiler in Zoe Anderson’s home less than two weeks before she was overcome by gas fumes.
He was handed a three-year prison sentence after being told it was “simply the price he must pay”.
Judge Neil Ford QC said there were “no malicious or hostile intentions in this case” but the loss to the 24-year-old victim’s family was profound.
A jury at Bristol Crown Court found Hartley guilty of gross negligence following a two-week trial last month.
Hartley, of Radstock, Somerset, had already admitted a charge of breaching gas safety regulations under by failing to secure the boiler flue pipe at the Bath home.
As the sentence was read out Hartley wiped tears from his eyes.
The judge said: “You knew the potential dangers of a carbon monoxide leak and leaving the flue unconnected created a clearly foreseeable risk to life and amounted criminal negligence.” WHAT’S going on with the weather?
One moment it’s glorious sunshine and the next it’s raining.
It’s bad enough deciding what to wear without not knowing if I’m gonna get stuck in the middle of a hailstorm.
Think I’ll try hotpants and a scarf tomorrow!