Ron is on cue for UK re­turn

SNOOKER

Midweek Sport - - THURSDAY AUG 9 -

WORLD snooker cham­pion Ron­nie O’Sul­li­van has set­tled his dif­fer­ences with the sport’s gov­ern­ing body and is set to re­turn to the main tour.

The 36-year-old an­nounced af­ter land­ing his fourth Cru­cible ti­tle that he in­tended to take a lengthy break.

It later emerged that the lack of ap­pear­ance money was a fac­tor in his re­fusal to sign a World Snooker play­ers’ con­tract, which he said was “too oner­ous”.

Yes­ter­day was the dead­line for O’Sul­li­van to sign and be el­i­gi­ble for De­cem­ber’s UK Cham­pi­onship in York.

His man­age­ment an­nounced on Twit­ter: “Good news. @ron­nieo147 may be play­ing again. Con­tract clar­i­fied. UK and in­ter­na­tional in China en­tered.”

O’Sul­li­van added: “Happy to be back in snooker. See you all soon.”

Af­ter beat­ing Ali Carter 18-11 in the World Cham­pi­onship fi­nal on May 7, O’Sul­li­van said: “I work as hard as any­one in snooker and I just want to be treated fairly.

“That’s up to the gov­ern­ing body to treat play­ers right.”

He said in May there were “cer­tain pres­sures that I can’t do with any more”.

The cal­en­dar now be­ing very busy with world rank­ing tour­na­ment points had meant there was added pres­sure to ap­pear ev­ery­where.

Last sea­son O’Sul­li­van was only ninth, even af­ter win­ning the World Cham­pi­onship.

His in­ac­tiv­ity since then has moved the Es­sex-based cue­man to 15th place.

His re­turn is in China, from Oc­to­ber 28 to Novem­ber 4.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.