Harry got ‘extra’ security during Taliban attack
PRINCE Harry was moved under guard to a secure location during a Taliban attack on Camp Bastion, the base where he is deployed in Afghanistan, defence secretary Philip Hammond has confirmed.
Two US Marines were killed and huge damage caused when attackers armed with guns, rockets and suicide vests stormed the NATO base in Helmand province last Friday.
“Additional security” is in place to protect Britain’s third in line to the throne on his second tour of duty in the country, Mr Hammond told BBC’s
when he was questioned about the assault.
He added: “Clearly there are fall-back plans – I can’t go into the detail of them – but once we knew on Friday night that the perimeter at Bastion had been breached he would have been moved to a secure position under effective guard.”
Harry was about a mile-and-a-half away with other Apache crew members when the heavily defended NATO base was attacked,.
But he was not danger, according Hammond.
He added that while the 28-year-old royal is “no more or less exposed than any other Apache pilot” in combat, he remains under close protection.
“He is serving there as an ordinary officer but clearly there are additional security plans in place that recognise he could be a target himself – specifically as a result of who he is,” Hammond added.
Although the Taliban have vowed to kill Prince Harry, a spokesmen said the assault “had nothing to do with the Prince”.