Drunk gran died with head stuck in stairlift
A GRANNY was killed in a freak accident when she got her head trapped in her STAIR LIFT, an inquest has heard.
Tragic Shirley Perkins, 55, toppled backwards down the stairs and got her head wedged between the metal rung of the electronic seat and the wall.
Her distraught daughter Claire found Shirley’s lifeless body when she arrived at her home to collect her for a shopping trip.
An inquest heard the former pottery worker had a stairlift fitted after she suffered breathing difficulties but occasionally had the strength to walk up them unaided.
On the night of her death the grandmother had got drunk on wine before going to bed.
But as she stumbled upstairs she tripped and fell backwards.
Claire told North Staffordshire Coroners Court: “Mum wasn’t an alcoholic but she did have three or four bottles of wine a week.”
A post-mortem found Shirley, of Stoke-onTrent, had a blood alcohol content of four-and-a-half times the drink drive limit.
Coroner Ian Smith, who confirmed Shirley died from asphyxia as a result of the fall and recorded a verdict of accidental death.