Sandwich nearly killed soccer boss
A SUPERMARKET chain has been fined almost £75,000 after it sold a packet of ox tongue which left a soccer tycoon fighting for life with food poisoning.
Maurice Lindsay, 70, had taken just ONE BITE of a sandwich, unaware the ox tongue was infected with a bacteria virus.
He was taken seriously ill and had to be kept in hospital for three weeks during which he needed life-saving injections every four hours.
He later had to quit as chairman of League One team Preston North End as a result of his illness.
Tests revealed the ox tongue had been infected with Listeria, which has a 30 per cent mortality rate when it infects humans.
Booths supermarkets admitted 10 hygiene offences, plus labelling and sell-by-date offences, at a court in Blackpool.