Rams come­back fired up by Dawkins dou­ble


STEVE McCLAREN’S Derby blew Ful­ham away with a stun­ning five­goal blast to claim a place in the quar­ter-fi­nals.

McClaren’s side looked to be in big trou­ble when Ful­ham’s teenage striker Moussa Dem­bele put the Cot­tagers two up just be­fore the break.

But a Chris Martin penalty in first-half added time brought County back into the tie.

And the vis­i­tors sim­ply crushed Kit Sy­mons’ side with four more goals in the open­ing 20 min­utes of the sec­ond half.

Johnny Rus­sell, Jeff Hen­drick and a dou­ble from Si­mon Dawkins did the dam­age to leave Ful­ham won­der­ing how the game had turned around so dra­mat­i­cally.

Ful­ham have been on the up since their 5-1 de­feat at Derby in late Au­gust and Fri­day’s 3-0 vic­tory over Charl­ton meant they came into this clash on a high.

And the a young Cot­tagers side showed no fear as they tore into County dur­ing the open­ing half and should have been well in con­trol be­fore Dem­bele fi­nally struck in the 27th minute.

The teenager had tested Derby keeper Kelle Roos with a snap­shot, be­fore mak­ing a mess of a clear chance when he found him­self one on one with the shot­stop­per mo­ments later.


But he made no mis­take when he latched onto Craig Forsyth’s poor back-pass, rounded Roos and slot­ted home.

Derby fi­nally stepped up the pace, but gifted Ful­ham a sec­ond BAD-BOY Mario Balotelli fi­nally re­paid Bren­dan Rodgers’ faith as he handed him a League Cup life­line.

And De­jan Lovren wrapped up a great es­cape deep in stop­page-time to carry Liver­pool through to the last eight.

Keeper Ger­hard Trem­mel was at fault for the win­ner when he mis­judged Philippe Coutinho’s free-kick and the de­fender headed in.

The Reds looked on their way out of the Cap­i­tal One Cup as they trailed to an opener from Marvin Emnes.

But Balotelli – who was left on the bench un­til get­ting the nod from his boss with 12 min­utes to go – timed his run per­fectly to meet Fabio Borini’s su­perb cross and bun­dle the ball home in the 86th minute.

It can­celled out the opener from Emnes, who has only net­ted one other goal this sea­son – in the 3-0 Cap­i­tal One Cup win over Ever­ton

It looked like he was about to put another Mersey club to the sword when he hooked in a sweet 65th-minute vol­ley from Neil Tay­lor’s threaded through-ball.

To make mat­ters worse for Swansea, as ex­tra-time loomed, de­fender Fed­erico Fer­nan­dez was shown a straight red for a foul on Coutinho just be­fore the win­ner.

Rodgers made NINE changes to the line-up that drew at home with Hull at the week­end.

It was a gam­ble by Rodgers given his team’s medi­ocre start in the league, with the cup of­fer­ing the chance of sil­ver­ware.

Still, it was all Liver­pool in the early stages with Jor­dan Hen­der­son send­ing a 20-yard free-kick sail­ing high over the top.

And a good move ended with Coutinho slip­ping the ball through for Lu­cas whose shot was straight at Trem­mel.

Another long-ranger from Coutinho flew wide.

But the two strik­ers with most to prove to Rodgers – Rickie Lam­bert and Borini – were hav­ing a quiet first half.

There was a rare glimpse of goal for Lam­bert from a 22nd-minute cor­ner, but he headed well over.

The next chance fell to


with another cock-up in the 44th minute.

This time mid­fielder Omar Mas­carell was caught out and Dem­bele again showed great com­po­sure to fin­ish in style.

But the Rams were thrown a life­line when Tim Hoog­land han­dled and Martin con­verted the penalty.

Rus­sell lev­elled within two min­utes of the restart and Dawkins put the Rams in front with a su­perb run and shot.

Then Ken­drick and Dawkins both con­verted close-range chances as Ful­ham fell apart.


Lu­cas con­grat­u­late


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.